Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

throttle latency when starting from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default throttle latency when starting from a stop

I just purchased a 2010 a3 2.0t dsg quattro and am generally pleased with it. There's one annoying issue that may either be a feature or defect. When I start from a stop there appears to be a ~1 second delay between when I press the throttle pedal and when the throttle valve actually opens. It's a bit unnerving when turning into a busy cross street.

Before I take it into the dealer I'd like to know if this is a known problem. Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

I was told that the delay is the computer's ESP and DSG working out how it's going to lay down the power. Mine does the same thing regardless of the mode it's in, regardless of ESP on or off.I saw a $300 piggyback chip that's supposed to give a tenth second improvement, but that's not good enough for $300 rofl! Anyone else annoyed by this?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Default actually

thats called turbo lag, all single turbo charged engines have that. the only way to avoid the turbo lag where the turbo is charging up to boost the engine is to have two turbos, which is called a twin turbo. funny thing is the engine without turbo for 1 second still gets off faster than my last car which was a saturn.

also if you're punching it all the time thats when you're gonna feel turbo lag the most, so if you put it in S, roll a bit right before the light turns that'll charge the turbo and then you're off! (at least the way i do it almost eliminates the lag and i still zip in front of bmw's and mercedes)

Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

I don't think it is turbo lag as I only experience this from a stop. If I'm idling along and then press the throttle pedal it responds appropriately. I think it has more to do with the DSG as the earlier reply suggested. Maybe this is done intentionally to minimize wear on the clutch.

I haven't tried launch control yet...was waiting to have more miles on the clock before I flog the car.

Last edited by balaguru1; 08-19-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Orincarnia;1116783]thats called turbo lag, all single turbo charged engines have that. the only way to avoid the turbo lag where the turbo is charging up to boost the engine is to have two turbos, which is called a twin turbo.

The better method of eliminating this would be a Twin-Scroll turbo as done on the new Mini Cooper S, or to fit a more capable wastegate valve to lessen the tubine stall,but the problem doesnt sound like turbo lag. Possibly a re-map could speed things up.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
1st Gear

Yes it's the DSG and combined with the turbo lag it sucks. The DSG is a clutch system and if you think about when you drive a manual transmission, unless you are holding the clutch out at the point where it is catching then you'll have a lag there too. You just don't think about it because you are the one doing it (causing the lag). To prove it isn't the turbo just let off the brake on a flat surface and see how long it take s the vehicle to start moving without you giving it any throttle. i'm in the market for the TT and I test drove the 3.2 with S-tronic and it does the same thing which convinced me it isn't the turbo.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM

I'm having this same thing with my new 2009 a3. It really sounds as though a manual transmission driver is having a hard time starting from stop. The engine sort of revs up briefly and then it starts moving. I have a really hard time with this when, for instance, I'm waiting for a break in traffic to sneak in (like, say, stopped at a stop-sign) . . . the opening appears, I jam the gas, and the car doesn't move - then it lurches forward.

So am I hearing this is just something I have to learn to live with and how to drive around?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

It seems like this may be the case. I've sort of gotten used to the delay as I don't notice it as much anymore.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

It's not turbo lag. It's the DSG. I put it in manual mode if I know I need to take off quick. It's instantaneous in that mode.

Jeff

Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Jeff has a point sometimes the DSG starts you in 2 and when you jam the throttle it down shifts to 1st thus slow response. I do know the computer and car will take about 5-10k miles to learn your driving style. Mine starts in 1st all the time now and not 2nd like it did when I got it.