Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tire Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Tire Problems

I have not had any problems with my stock Continentals yet (just over 8k mileson the odometer), but have read numerous threads about people that did have prob's with their stock tires. If you had (or are having) problems with your stock tires did you have the Conti's or the Pirelli's? How many miles did you have on them before you started noticing that something wasn't quite right? The reason I am asking this is because I have several friends with early model 350z's and so many of the z's were having tire feathering probs that Nissan finally ended up figuring out that it was caused by the way the suspension was designed and set up. Wondering if the A3 may have something similar to this.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Tire Problems

My Pirelli PZero Rosso's did 20k miles before I replaced them and they wore perfectly. I now have Toyo Proxes T1-R's and I love them with no problems at all.

Cheers!

Old 03-15-2007, 02:26 AM

I have a 2006 A3 with Pirelli tires and started noticing problems with my tires at 13,000 miles. Took it to the dealer, they noticed feathering on the tires and recommended a rotation. Paid for the rotation and the problem continued to get worse (could hear the problem). Took the car in at 19,000 miles and told them that the problem was getting worse. They checked the alignment and 3 of 4 wheels were out of alignment. They paid for the alignment, but now I have set of severely worn tires that need to be replaced.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 PM

i haven't had any problems with my conti's but then i've only driven my baby for 300 miles!!

it's actually a bit worrisome to see all the emails about tire, alignment problems.

any good feedback on the conti's on 07 models yet?

Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 PM

This is interesting because if you read my posts in the "Strange noise..." thread you'll see what I've gone through recently with my '06 A3. My stock Continentals stared feathering and making a horrible noise after only about 6,000 miles. The dealer said it was out of alignment and I paid for that, a rotation and balance but it didn't work. I did finally get the dealer to replace the tires (after a severe twisting of the arm) with Pirellis. I really hope it was a problem with the Continentals and won't carry it over to the Pirellis. Guess I'll know later this summer.

But man does it ride great now. Didn't realize how much noise it was making.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 AM

Got my 25k svc next week, think I will ask them to check my alignment and if it needs adjusting, hopefully I can talk them into do it under warranty. I replaced my P-Sucks at 20k, coulld take the howling no longer. The BS RE960's are great so far and would really want them to last at least 2 years. I probably will pay for the alignment if they don't warranty it, it has to be cheaper than replacing tires every year.[>:]

Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM

My 06 came with conti's and have about 13000 mi., no problems and plenty of wear left.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

I'm in Maryland and am considering an A3. Are these tire complaints mainly about high performance tires on the sports suspension? A dealer's service dept I called indicated most of these types of tires are shot at 20,000 miles..

Old 03-17-2007, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: charlie whitten

I'm in Maryland and am considering an A3. Are these tire complaints mainly about high performance tires on the sports suspension? A dealer's service dept I called indicated most of these types of tires are shot at 20,000 miles..
When I got my A3 there were a bunch of comments about tire reliability concerning the Perelli versus the Continentals in this forum. I asked two senior sales staff at my Audi dealer who said the Perelli's (what I got) wore pretty well and it helped to keep them overinflated (normally 40 PSI) so you don't wear the edges. Possibly a stiffer suspension would increase wear on the tires...I wonder how much?

Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 AM

Is that 40 front and rear?

I have replaced my P Sucks with BS re960's a much better tire, but maybe tire pressure was the answer. Makes you wonder why 35f32r was oem[sm=bicker.gif]

Quick Reply: Tire Problems