Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Default Tires

ok i was in the noob area and the talk about tires turned into a talk about wheels and i didnt see any useful information there, so...

i need to get rid of my OEM tires as they are starting to get some pretty bad wear. i have the stock wheels so my tire size is 225/45R17. the guy at the local shop was trying to push me to get some falken ZE912 tires. the other tires i was looking at would be the pzero nero or the michellin pilot sport PS2. the falkens are considerably cheaper than the others, however i have not seen any real informative reviews about them or seen that many people driving w/ them. Tirerack.com doesn't even carry the brand.

I would like to see what people are using for their tires or if they had any recommendations on which one i should pick.
sorry if this has already been discussed i didn't see a way to search the forums for a similar post.

Thank you

Old 03-16-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tires

If you have the Cash go with the PS2's you will not be disapointed. Great wear and handle beuatifuly. I lucked out and they came stock on my car. Don't ask me how but thank you Dessert Audi in Vegas.
Oh and the falkens I have heard have a bad wear about them and the pzero well, never liked them personaly.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:41 AM

I've had the PZero Rosso's, Toyo T1-R's, and now the Yokohama S.Drives. Personally, I would get the PS2's if you can afford it, but the S.Drives have pretty much the same cut and do everything well and last longer. It was a good compromise for me and it is the best tire yet on this car.

Cheers!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 AM
L7
1st Gear

Hey Chef and others;
What do y'all think of the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts? For me, I trying to decide between those and the Yoko's AVID W4S.
Anyone's experiences and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:22 PM

thanks for the input guys, ive been reading alot of reviews and comparisons and the PS2 just seems to be a superior tire. I am getting a pretty good deal from costco on them so i dont have to pay through the nose for em. Ill keep the other options in mind for next time,if I dont feel these are worth the price.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

I've got Yoko W4S 225/40-18s. Great value and highly overlooked tire, excellent braking, especially in the wet, and I put a bigvalue on being able to stop in a hurry. Quieter than most, better in snow than the BStone 960, and comparable overall to the Goodyear F1AS, which is about the best UHP A/S tire going. That said, the Contis are the most snow-tire like UHP A/S tire.

So if you need a bias towards better snow performance over better 3-Season performance, then the Contis would be your tire. If not, W4S would be my 'Value" pick and the Goodyear F1AS my "Premium" pick. Now, watch the Michelin fans pick on me. OK they make great tires, too. But spendy.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

I'm getting Fuzion ZRi's put on today. Had the stock Conti's and still had plenty of tread life on them (have 23.5k miles on them) but the sidewalls are cracking pretty bad and I am taking a road trip this weekend that will take me through some twisty back-roads and didn't want to risk having a sidewall blow out on a blind curve. Figured it was a good excuse to get some new shoes!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

The sidewalls are cracking badly??? Yikes, did you run them low on pressure for a considerable distance or did they just start cracking for no reason? If the latter, Continental should be replacing those beasties for free (of at least for some pro-rated amount).

Old 03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

I have the YOKO's they work great, and are very reasonably priced. Moved from Conti Pros which were great, but loud.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shipo

The sidewalls are cracking badly??? Yikes, did you run them low on pressure for a considerable distance or did they just start cracking for no reason? If the latter, Continental should be replacing those beasties for free (of at least for some pro-rated amount).
I kept them inflated and rotated....but there was no way to prove that I didn't run them underinflated so I didn't even mess with it. They were starting to get loud anyway.

Quick Reply: Tires