Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

totaled

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear
Default totaled

ok so i guess i dont need anymore help with my A3. some a$$hole in a semi Tboned me and its gone. i came out of it with a few cuts and bruises so i guess it could be worse.. anyone have any input on if i should buy a 06+ GTI or not... dont really wanna pay the ins on an audi anyway... what do you guys think

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: totaled

Sorry to hear that. There really is a jinx on Audi Forums A3's. You are the third member that I am aware of whose A3 has been totaled. (Touching every wooden surface in office again.)

Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: a3_yuppie

(Touching every wooden surface in office again.)
Indeed!

Regarding the GTI, sure, it's a great car. You'll be taking a step down on the interior, but otherwise if you liked the A3 you'll like the GTI. Concerning insurance though, call around and get some quotes before you assume the A3 is going to cost more. I see the GTI as more of a "boy racer" car, and if that presumption is correct then insurance companies may see it as a higher risk -- therefore higher insurance costs.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Really sorry to hear of your loss. I've driven both cars and they are very similar, but the GTI is rated differently by the insurance company than the A3. The A3 is considered a wagon, while the GTI is a fast hatchback.

On another note, things usually come in three's. I was very worried that I was going to be number 3 to have my A3 totalled, especially since Richard, Nam, and Myself were some of the first on AF to have A3's. I have been rear ended in my A3, but she is back to perfect and running great at the moment.

I suggest getting another A3 again.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM

ya the gti will probably be more on insureance beucase of the fact that it is labled GIT meaning its a sports car. i would choose the git over the a3 jsut beucase of the fact that there both made with the same quality and the qti is 2 doors and prob jsut a tad faster. I would have taken the a3 over the git only if it had quattro which it doesent

Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Boostd, sorry to hear about that. Hate to hear about idiot drivers on the road being careless, reckless and irresponsible. Good thing is you're ok, healthy and ready for your next car!

GTI same quality as A3? I don't believe so and having had experience with both (own the A3 currently, the ex has the GTI which I still have to help her deal with), there's been some issues with the quality of the GTI in terms of overall construction (bad water channel on roof causing leakage into the cabin, bad fuel sensor, squeaking interior glove compartment so far). With the A3, it's very solidly built in 3 mos and 8K miles of ownership so far. This may not be too fair a comparison as I'm comparing an '05 GTI vs an '08 A3...

Only time will tell for my A3.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

ya thanks alot guys.. im not sure what to get next. i have been looking at everything and i think i might want to spend a little less this time. i still want a audi or VW though.. i am hoping to get away with buying a vehicle somewhere around 13-17,000. maybe a 03-05 a4 or GTI, what would you suggest in that situation... i want to eventually have a car that is modded to be around 300hp to the wheels. if i could find a 2000 or so S4 that would be awesome. how nasty is the ins on those for someone around 25 yrs of age ? im gonna keep an eye out for something in the area. i still have a trade in so i want to find something at a dealership.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

An 2000 S4 would be great if your looking to make it a pure toy. Don't think the insurance would be that bad considering it would be 8 yrs old. Hint on if you do go that direction look for an old person selling it. 50's plus that means the bought it for the preformance but probably didn't do anything except normal tunning. Also have the turbo's checked out. They were know to be the first to go on that 2.7T unless you get a great price and have the extra cash to upgrade them right away.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

Ya thats kinda what i was thinking too. i am always worried when i start looking at turbo cars that are used and that old... some people just dont know how to drive. damn kids these days...if i can find one that is already modded but was done right and taken care of thats fine by me just saves me some work really. i dont know what im gonna do but i know that i wanna stay in the german market

Old 01-14-2008, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

I testdrove both cars before I got my A3. The GTI came out to be a lot more expensive to be equal in most things in the A3. The GTI that I testdrove was $29,000 and it had most things the A3 did but it still wasnt as nice.. The GTI had ok power but its basicly the same price of an A3 when you start putting the necessary stuff into it. Id just get another A3, its better on your insurance and its pretty much priced the same. Also, im sure you would rather have an A3?

Quick Reply: totaled