Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Upgrading OEM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Upgrading OEM Radio?

Hello,
This may be a dumb question or one which has been answered before which I haven't found in the forum. But....

Can you buy the OEM radios (eg. the navigation model) to upgrade the existing radios? I have a new A3 and it was only available in the color & options I wanted with the basic concert radio (has an iPod adapter but it doesn't seem to work very well) but I'd like to add bluetooth & sat and have it factory. Any suggestions?
Does Audi sell this directly (what would it cost, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Upgrading OEM Radio?

From looking at different models of the A3 and talking with the dealer, it isn't any easy swap. I believe all the wiring is already there, so in that since it should be plug and play. But if you look at some pictures of A3s with navigation or the Symphony radio, you will see that the radio sits at the top of the dash which means those indicator lights for the ESP and Passenger Air Bag and the slot for credit cards is moved to the bottom and its a different size. I think the climate controls are also a different size. Try to find some pictures and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you could find a totaled A3 that had all the components you need that would be your best option.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

Changing from DIN to double DIN would require a lot of replacement dash pieces.

Plus - nav units, bluetooth, etc., have extra sensors and stuff that would need to be installed.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

Hmm. Well then..... what would be my options for making the satellite radio operative? I have a switch for it (and I believe the antenna is preinstalled on the roof?) is there some form of plug in module which could facilitate that?

Thanks again.

Joe

Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Joe, I'm going down the same path right now with an 08' A3 and stock radio. I'm trying to see what will work to get a nice nav unit. If I succeed I'll let you know. dr

Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
1st Gear

There are people who have done the switch. There is a double-din dash kit available for purchase (don't remember what site though), and oem navi systems are available (from ebay maybe). It won't be cheap. Prob better off going with an aftermarket navi system.

Please forgive me if my post isn't all that informative and if it doesn't make much sense. I'm all hopped up on sinus/allergy meds and I think I might have inadvertantly taken the 'night time' version on accident.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
1st Gear

Thats a good point. Maybe the pioneer or something. Does anyone know if there is a way to tie the ipod adapter in the glove box into an aftermarket system?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

Most new aftermarket stereos (at least higher end offerings) will have an ipod interface that will work MUCH better than oem.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure what model year you have, but if it's an '08 then I might have a suggestion for you. I was at the dealership this morning and I saw an '08 A3 in the showroom and I started looking through it to see what has changed. I saw on the window sticker that it had the ipod glove box connection installed and I wanted to see how good of a job I did installing mine compared to the factory/dealer installation. Much to my surprise Audi has created a horizontal docking station in the glove box. It's in the same place as the old style ipod connection, up on the top left in that pocket.

Now to my suggestion. That piece in the glove compartment can pop out without having to remove the glove box. You could pop it out and replace the Audi supplied cable with your aftermarket radio supplied ipod cable. Audi's new Ipod docking station looks really clean, but I can see that it could be difficult attaching the ipod in while sitting in the driver's seat. I tried using my nano that I had in my pocket from the passenger seat and had a little difficulty getting it in there. Maybe a full size ipod would be easier. On my install I gave myself enough lead to allow me to pull the cable out beyong the glove box opening a foot or so.

If you do have this new connection type and are able to get it out of the car, be sure and post some pics (front, back, and side) so we can see how this is put together.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Thats a good point and a great idea. I like the looks of the Pioneer AV1c-Z2 but this is a double din and I haven't found anything other than a single din trim ring. My A3 is an '08 and I haven't found a wiring harness adapter for it either. Anyone seen these items out there?

Thanks,
Joe

Quick Reply: Upgrading OEM Radio?