Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Warming up the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Warming up the engine?

Does anyone warm up their engine before taking off? I have a habit of doing so and I leave it running until the RPM goes under the 1 before i take off. I don't floor it until the temperature stick is in the middle. I read in the manual that there's no need to warm the engine.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Default RE: Warming up the engine?

No, don't warm up the engine. Just turn it on and go! It does nothing more than waste fuel and log more idle miles on the engine.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

So, even if the temperature outside is below freezing and the car hasnt been used since the previous day?

No need to warm it up at all?

Since its freezing here, I start my car in the mornings, keep it running for about 5-10 mins with heated seats on and heat blasted at 75 degrees.

I also dont push the gas to hard until the temp needle is in the middle.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM

I would keep the engine rpms to a reasonable level until the car reaches operating temperature, but that is the same in any environment. The only reasonto warm-up the car is for your comfort, not the car's.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

No, don't warm up the engine. Just turn it on and go! It does nothing more than waste fuel and log more idle miles on the engine.
Oh jheeze, I'd give it at least a minute, longer if your car is really cold! What are you worried about, the A3 2.0T doesn't use much fuel when idling!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

Itis important to let the engine warm up in general at least for bit, to let the oil get into all of the parts before driving, especially when the oil is cold.Like Sancho said, I usually let it idle until it drops under 1k. Too much idling is just a waste of gas and is actually not good for the car. Warming up is also good fora turbo car. Havingseveral twin turbo RX-7's, it was one the essential rules to both warm it up and to make sure to cool it down, many of the guys would get turbo timers as well.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jbrx7tt

Itis important to let the engine warm up in general at least for bit, to let the oil get into all of the parts before driving, especially when the oil is cold.Like Sancho said, I usually let it idle until it drops under 1k. Too much idling is just a waste of gas and is actually not good for the car. Warming up is also good fora turbo car. Havingseveral twin turbo RX-7's, it was one the essential rules to both warm it up and to make sure to cool it down, many of the guys would get turbo timers as well.
Okay, but how long does it take for the oil pump to get oil to all parts of the engine? Seconds?

Not to split hairs, but warming up the engine is NOT needed. That's all there is to it.

Cooling down turbos is another thing, and we could go many posts on that subject too.

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I always warm up all of my vehicles and toys before taking off

Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM

The perfect item for a man-------no foreplay required!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Okay, but how long does it take for the oil pump to get oil to all parts of the engine? Seconds?

Not to split hairs, but warming up the engine is NOT needed. That's all there is to it.

Cooling down turbos is another thing, and we could go many posts on that subject too.

Cheers!
I agree, not long! I am sure there are folks in both camps, I guess whatever you personally feel is better for your engine. The turbos & engines in the RX-7's really ran warm, so starting up and cooling was a big issue. .

Quick Reply: Warming up the engine?