Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What kind of minimum manuever would make this car lose control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:46 AM
1st Gear
Default What kind of minimum manuever would make this car lose control?

Just bought a new A3 2.0T w/ premium. My last car was a crappy mid 1990's honda. I haven't really had time to properly test the vehicle, but I have already noticed that the car certainly performs much differently than the honda. Seeing as the honda is the only car I have ever owned, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some initial suggestions to a first time audi/german car owner. Perhaps suggestions on handing. I'm a bit timid to start pushing the car as I can't really guess how it is going to perform. Any suggesting/tips?

Old 10-31-2006, 06:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What kind of minimum manuever would make this car lose control?

The new A3 uses wheels that have a 112 PCD, whilst the old A3 used a 100 PCD. Old A3 and TT wheels will not fit. You may also need to check the offset.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Administrator

this is more of something u have to fugure out on ur own
u gotta know ur limits because what u think is crazy driving can be normal to other (hmmm chef and Nam and Rich)
the A3 is a good handling car but it does have understeer though

Old 10-31-2006, 07:01 AM
1st Gear

Sorry wrong post above!

Just push the car round a corner, it will start to understeer, then back off and you know where the limit is. If you were in the UK, then the best place to test a new car is to push it round a roundabout, progressively adding more throttle until it starts to understeer, or oversteer!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

just remember a better car does not make a better driver. if anything the opposite can be true. stay within YOUR limits and you will be fine, as you get better you will find the limits of the car and know when to back off. Best place to learn? on the track where it belongs.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
SoCal Crew Member

cornering on a stock car is one thing,

but

cornering on a chipped car with a rear sway bar is a GREAT thing

just gas your pedel half way through the corner, i'm doing round-abouts at 65mph....... but roll down your windows so as soon as you hear your tires starting to squeek, let off the gas,

or you can take it to an empty parking lot and go crazy all you want so you know how your car performs.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. My honda, well, it was an EX accord Coupe so it wasn't necessarily a slow car, but it certainly was not known for its superb handling by any means. This is definately the area where I need more practice. I never really pushed my honda to attempt any quick corning. Infact I have never made a manuever that would actually force my car to understeer outside of driving in the snow. Anyway, "To the Track I Go," or posssibly "the dog park(its nice and flat)." I just can't get comfortable with it till I can get it to lose a little control. Thanks

-ger

Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 PM
2nd Gear

chip + rear swaybar =

Old 11-01-2006, 04:54 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

chip + rear swaybar =
chip + rear swaybar + stiffy motor mount + CAI + 93 oct =

[sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=gears.gif]