Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What are your dislikes re: the A3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: What are your dislikes re: the A3?

Let's be happy it's not that purplish-blue lighting as seen in Volkswagen vehicles! The red is merely OK and I think a gentle green would be superior. Red warning indicators would contrast nicely against green.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 PM

I agree. I much prefer the red illumination and I find it much nicer on long drives at night. It messes with your night vision much less.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

personally i love the red lighting. Its one of Audi's trademarks. I think a 'gentle green' would resemble that older indiglo of honda's past...Would definately turn me off of the car and i would have bought something else. I personally like the VW lighting scheme, but i've never driven one so I dont know if i'd still like it behind the wheel.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

I have to say that I took a real liking to the car, I really enjoy it but there are some things that I also wished Audi would have done differently.

Trip Computer – There are 2 sets but you cannot have one in km and one in miles, both have to be the same. I do not want to have to convert if they have both inside, I still think in liters/100km but when I talk to Americans I have to go to miles/gallons. Since everything is inside, why can’t it do both?
Back Climate Control – We do have a dual climate control but not climate control in the back???? Tsk tsk tsk, the GTI has that. Personally, I do not really care for left and right, and maybe the manual does say how to do this but I want to control both sides at once, is there a way? I hate to read manuals.
AC – the AC does not work very well and living in Florida it does get hot.
Armrest - The armrest is a real pain and trying to use the hand brake in order to start uphill was not fun. I have the armrest all the way back but it kind of defeats the purpose of the armrest.
Floor mats – I used to hate them, now I just despise them. They do not look the part as far as I am concerned.
MT – yes I love my MT but I would have preferred a shorter shift.

Everything else can be made better but those should be dealt at the factory level.

I love my A3 and I am looking forward to some great time together!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier

"...AC – the AC does not work very well and living in Florida it does get hot..."
Do you have the OpenSky system or a traditional closed roof? I'm wondering if having that option is something to be avoided in warm-weather states?

Old 05-12-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Olivier - push and hold the auto button for about 3 seconds - it will re-synchronize the left and right temp controls.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

ORIGINAL: olivier

"...AC – the AC does not work very well and living in Florida it does get hot..."
Do you have the OpenSky system or a traditional closed roof? I'm wondering if having that option is something to be avoided in warm-weather states?
I was wandering myself and I believe you touch on something. I do not have the Open Sky. I mentioned this to my boss who has the S6 with a roof and he tells me that he gets a breeze from the warm air going to the roof even before he turns on the AC. One of my colleage with an Allroad with no roof mentioned that his AC does not work well.

It would be good to do a poll on this. I have to say that we had company and after a 20 minute drive with a toal of 3 people in the car, the car was just cool. Not very impressed.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hesaputz

Olivier - push and hold the auto button for about 3 seconds - it will re-synchronize the left and right temp controls.
Thanks!!! I knew you guys were faster than me reading the manual............

Old 05-12-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the A3 brakes. They are fine for tooling around town, but in sporting driving (are there perhaps a few of us who drive our A3s vigorously?) they are scary weak with wimpy stopping power. First time I tried howling down the Sunset blvd twisties, my foot almost went through the floor trying to haul my car down from 70 as I approached a bend.

Other than that, the Bose stereo stinks.... all midrange, no decent bass or treble. I don't know why anyone puts any faith in Bose as a quality audio brand. Probably because their Wave radio is so popular. Would be interested to hear Audi's Bang & Olufsen in the R8. LA Times' Pultitzer-winning auto critic Dan Neil recently had a writeup on the R8. Not muchabout the performance of the car...all about the stereo. Hmmmm.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Some people mentioned the idle sound being loud, it is on the louder side but no big deal, my beefis when I start the car, it sounds like a diesel, am I the only one? Is there something wrong with the car? With me? Quite possibly on the last, I hope the rest is OK…

About the Bose system, I cannot say that I am thrilled by it, actually, it was a little downer but it works and I tried all the way up with a little classic – Danzig Mother – with the windows down and no sound distortion, it was still clear. Not the best sound ever, just decent. It does not give me chills or thrills for an upgraded system for sure, but it does the job I guess. Not a great connoisseur and personally, I have the volume way down or turn it off altogether when I drive a little faster than I should [up to the speed limit of course], I like to hear the engine and do enjoy the little ‘hiss’ sound, even though I may have to drive with the windows down which slows me down… This particular sound does give me a lot of pleasure, music to my ears!!!

Quick Reply: What are your dislikes re: the A3?