Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

What are your dislikes re: the A3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Default RE: What are your dislikes re: the A3?

chef i love diesels and thats the reason why it sounds like the diesel the noise we hear are comming from injectors!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

All right smarty pants, if this is such a nice thing, why didn’t Audi list in the feature – ‘Awesome diesel sound’ or ‘real breathtaking diesel-like experience’??? I went to Audi’s site in order to see what they said about the FSI and they did not mentioned coming from diesel technology, why, I wonder…. Well, not really…

Chef, odroggy, this may be a very attractive sound at your local pickup place also called the local Truck Stop [sorry to all truck drivers, I mean no disrespect, just trying to prove a point] but it does not really cut it anywhere else. IMO.
Like I said, I enjoy my A3, I can live will all the different shortfalls mentioned by many drivers in this thread and some I mentioned but this is a real bummer.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure if this has been previously addressed, but the placement of the window controls on the driver door is an ergonomic crime. They are too far rearward. Trying to access the rear window controls is an excercise in arm/wrist yoga. I'm 6' tall, so it's not a case of the driver's seat being too far forward. Minor design flaws like this are acceptable (though the infamous armrest / hand brake is NOT), just surprising on an Audi.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: olivier

All right smarty pants, if this is such a nice thing, why didn’t Audi list in the feature – ‘Awesome diesel sound’ or ‘real breathtaking diesel-like experience’??? I went to Audi’s site in order to see what they said about the FSI and they did not mentioned coming from diesel technology, why, I wonder…. Well, not really…

Chef, odroggy, this may be a very attractive sound at your local pickup place also called the local Truck Stop [sorry to all truck drivers, I mean no disrespect, just trying to prove a point] but it does not really cut it anywhere else. IMO.
Like I said, I enjoy my A3, I can live will all the different shortfalls mentioned by many drivers in this thread and some I mentioned but this is a real bummer.
Hey Olivier,

My last car was a TDI, so I came from the diesel point of view when purchasing this car. I was already familar with the technology and the awesome torque of the TDI, so I knew that the extra horses in the TFSI and the big torque would be a blast! Remember, you purchase horsepower, but you drive torque. That is what makes our cars more fun to drive than a similarly powered car. You can feel the torque throw your butt back into the seat. Well, maybe not so much on the stock version, but definitely on the well modded one!!!

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lavadrifter

I'm not sure if this has been previously addressed, but the placement of the window controls on the driver door is an ergonomic crime. They are too far rearward. Trying to access the rear window controls is an excercise in arm/wrist yoga. I'm 6' tall, so it's not a case of the driver's seat being too far forward. Minor design flaws like this are acceptable (though the infamous armrest / hand brake is NOT), just surprising on an Audi.
Funny, they are too far forward for me. I always hit the rear window control instead of the front. The only thing I have to complain about is the lack of an off button for the climate control. Oh yeah, and lack of Quattro option for the 2.0T.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cuski

ORIGINAL: lavadrifter

Funny, they are too far forward for me. I always hit the rear window control instead of the front. The only thing I have to complain about is the lack of an off button for the climate control. Oh yeah, and lack of Quattro option for the 2.0T.
Just keep hitting the '-' button for the fan and it will turn the climate control off once you are at the minimum fan speed setting.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: quadric

Just keep hitting the '-' button for the fan and it will turn the climate control off once you are at the minimum fan speed setting.
Seriously, I know that...

But the A4 has an 'off' button that turns it off without me having to frantically push the '-' button....

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cuski
ORIGINAL: quadric
Seriously, I know that...
But the A4 has an 'off' button that turns it off without me having to frantically push the '-' button....
This drives me nuts too - I do not like to start a car with AC on or anything else for that matter. An off button would have been nice to have.

ORIGINAL: Chef
You can feel the torque throw your butt back into the seat. Well, maybe not so much on the stock version, but definitely on the well modded one!!!
Here you go again showing off your mods again – and I am not certain I want to understand your reference to the ‘butt’ thing [sm=smiley26.gif]… I am going to have to wonder if (1) you are not trying to compensate for something with all your mods and (2) between your ‘butt’ remark, ‘LA metro sexual’ commentary, ‘group hugging’ penchant, I do not know which team you are on!!!??? Not that there is anything wrong with that… [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

But seriously now, I love the car, I love the engine, I find it a good compromise of price/performance and believe me, I do enjoy the torque!!! I love the torque so much my next gift to myself is going to be a radar! I turn the music off, put the windows down, get in a proper gear and floor it…. hhhhaaaaa music to my ears!!!!!!!!

On the diesel comment, I have had my share of small diesels, from Golf MK2 TD, Golf MK3 TDI, Astra TDI, Astra CDTI, 205 TD & 307 HDI (Peugeot), so I remember the very distinctive sound it makes when you start the engine. I did not expect a petrol engine to sound like that. When I tried the A3, I guess I was blinded by the truth; I did not hear it or probably did not want to hear it. I do not have a problem with diesel engines, once they become available here I will probably consider them very seriously but it feels/sounds cheap … I do not like to say it and outside of AF I will stand up to anyone that says my car sounds like a diesel.[sm=violent053.gif]

Sorry for the rant – it will be my last on that topic.[sm=icon_quiet.gif]