Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

When to use transmission's "S" setting (super mode?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
1st Gear
Question When to use transmission's "S" setting (super mode?)

When's the best time to have a lil' fun with that super mode that's on the automatic transmissions (not sure about the manuals). I just got an 09 A3 and all the dealership guy explained to me was that it was "super" and "wasted a ton of gas but was faster"...

I tried it out and the acceleration doesn't seem much different / faster but I'm assuming it only really comes in handy at high gears (5/6) rather than from a complete stop.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

The "S" is a sport setting and it just keeps the car more responsive by keeping the engine revs up instead of short shifting like the "D" mode does.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by msodrew
When's the best time to have a lil' fun with that super mode that's on the automatic transmissions (not sure about the manuals). I just got an 09 A3 and all the dealership guy explained to me was that it was "super" and "wasted a ton of gas but was faster"...

I tried it out and the acceleration doesn't seem much different / faster but I'm assuming it only really comes in handy at high gears (5/6) rather than from a complete stop.
I use ''sport" mode when in a hurry, or driving through the canyons/twisties. Part of my commute to and from work takes me through 5 miles of canyon road) The best AI for a tranny ecu ive driven, it knows when to downshift right before a turn/curve..so you're ready to accelerate after the apex

e

Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

S is no faster - it doesn't remap boost, timing, or mixture. S simply raises shift points, holds gears longer, makes more agressive downshifts, and will hold in fourth gear at a steady 45mph instead of going into 6th.
Around here, I've found very little use for it - I either use D for normal driving, or I run it with the paddles for fun.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

I've found that the "S" mode is an improvement when creeping at very low speeds by holding onto 1st gear, when the DSG in "D" would be constantly shifting between 1st and 2nd, and the car jerking in response. I guess I could use manual mode instead for the same purpose.