Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Whistling Noise?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Whistling Noise?

Has anyone noticed a whistling noise from their side view mirrors at about 65-80 mph? I've only had the car a couple weeks, and put a clear bra with mirror film on last week. I didn't notice the whistling noise before, but do now and I'm wondering if the clear bra film is disrupting air flow enough to cause the whistling noise or was it there before and I just didn't notice it. I can barely hear it with the window up, but it can be loud with the window cracked or all the way down. It also doesn't always happen, only sometimes. If I stick my hand out to disrupt airflow around the mirror, the noise stops. Anyone else noticed this and do you have the clear bra film on the mirrors?

Old 09-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Whistling Noise?

Nope. I drive on the highway at 75-85 and I have never noticed it. I actually like how quiet and precise the A3 is at high speed. Take the bra off anyways dude, you aren't a chick.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Check the groove located in the mirror housing between the rear and front sections. It should be properly moulded or else that usually causes some noise. Maybe you could also try filling your side view mirror brackets with more insulation and see if it cures the problem.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wonka

Check the groove located in the mirror housing between the rear and front sections. It should be properly moulded or else that usually causes some noise. Maybe you could also try filling your side view brackets with more insulation and see if it cures the problem.
Thanks for the suggestions. When I stick my hand out the window and put it between the mirror and car, it doesn't help. So I don't think the idea of the insulation will work. However, when I checked the seam like you suggested, the two parts weren't perfectly aligned, so I put some electrical tape over the seam. I also put some tape over the two screw holes just incase that might be doing it. I'll find out tomorrow if this fixes the problem. Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 AM
1st Gear

i noticed some noise while riding on the interstate today but only noticed it cuz i had the radio off (which is something i don't think many folks do). don't find it especially unusual for any car...

Old 10-02-2006, 04:05 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Shazam!

i noticed some noise while riding on the interstate today but only noticed it cuz i had the radio off (which is something i don't think many folks do). don't find it especially unusual for any car...
Then we're not talking about the same noise. I've had 18 previous cars and haven't had this type of noise in any of them. Did you have your window open at all? I barely notice it with the window closed but it can be very irritating with the window open or even cracked open.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

my windows were closed, but it was the sound that slightly resembled a window that's not FULLY closed. maybe we aren't talking about the same thing though after all.

ORIGINAL: BearTrap

ORIGINAL: Shazam!

Then we're not talking about the same noise. I've had 18 previous cars and haven't had this type of noise in any of them. Did you have your window open at all? I barely notice it with the window closed but it can be very irritating with the window open or even cracked open.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BearTrap
Thanks for the suggestions. When I stick my hand out the window and put it between the mirror and car, it doesn't help. So I don't think the idea of the insulation will work. However, when I checked the seam like you suggested, the two parts weren't perfectly aligned, so I put some electrical tape over the seam. I also put some tape over the two screw holes just incase that might be doing it. I'll find out tomorrow if this fixes the problem. Thanks again.
The tape over the seam and screw holes did not fix the noise. Maybe I'll try the insulation idea after all.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

BearTrap,
Where did u get your clear bra decals and how much did you pay for it? Can you remove them on and off?

Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Vix_Turbo_A3

BearTrap,
Where did u get your clear bra decals and how much did you pay for it? Can you remove them on and off?
I got it from Clear Defender Paint Protection. They have an eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Clear-Defender-Paint-Protection). It was the cheapest 3M kit I could find at $180. Though you might check with local installers. I found out after I got it that I wanted it professionally installed and the total price from the installer (kit plus install) would have been less. Once you remove it, you can't put it back on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whistling Noise?