Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Will iphone in dock drain my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Default Will iphone in dock drain my battery?

I have a new 2008 A3 with bluetooth and ipod dock in glove box. I tried an ipod and noted that the dock is non-keyed, it charges the ipod even when the car is off. I am worried that if I get an iphone and leave it on with bluetooth enabled (which uses more power), I will find a dead battery on Monday morning. Does it use enough power to do that? I called Apple but they could only tell me the battery life on standby with WiFi off is 250 hours.
I would not even bother with this and just use my current bluetooth phone but the 12 volts in the center console are also non-keyed, so if I forget to unplug it I might have the same problem. I never use my cell outside the car and in my old car just left it on and plugged into the lighter all the time, but that lighter turned off with the ignition. I don't know why Audi has all these live outlets, seems kind of dumb to me.
Thanks for any help.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Will iphone in dock drain my battery?

I noticed that myself.
It might be that the sockets get switched off by the canbus when the battery voltage drops below a certain value.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

I wonder if the ipod dock will eventually cut power after you turn off the engine for a while. Like how the power windows would operate for a short while after you kill the power/pull the key out.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

wait... i have the ipod duck too, but how come my iphone doesn't fit in there? is it because i have a iphone case? is there another piece of plastic of some kind that holds the iphone, or is the phone just hanging from there??

Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

hi steven,

iphone does fit in the dock. in fact, I just tried it w/ my coworker's the other day. You were right, you would have to take off the iphone case/skin. Also, be careful with positioning the iphone on its own in though. if you tilt it a bit upwards, you're gonna end up scratching the section right below the jack (as what i did to my coworker's iphone >.&lt The edges of the ipod/phone dock connector is quite sharp.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Since I was unsure and nervous about it, and I do not yet have an Iphone, I bought a cradle for my old phone. On the instructions from Audi it says the cradle will shut off power to the phone 30 minutes after the ignition is off to prevent draining the battery. Hopefully the ipod dock will do the same but I do not know. If I forget and leave my ipod in for a week I will find out.