Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01' A4 1.8T Quattro 5 speed problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Default RE: 01' A4 1.8T Quattro 5 speed problems

did you check the hose that i mentioned above? once you fix that connection then your problems should all be gone, if not, then you need to replace the dead coilpacks.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

I am getting ready to check it now. Had a neighbor stop by and look at a car I had for sale.

Huck

Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

I checked it and I only found a small vacuum line looking suspect so I replaced it. It went to the intake manifold. The rest looked good, not cracked or disconnected. I could see maybe one or two coil packs being bad butnot misfires on all cylinders. It must be something else causing the misfires. Anymore ideas.

Huck

Old 12-03-2007, 05:48 PM
3rd Gear

what plugs are you running?
how about the conditions of the spark plugs?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Had the plugs out about 300 miles ago at the same time of the timing belt service and they looked fine, they were replaced about 5k ago according to records. They are NGK's.

Huck

Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM

thats the thing, with that hose, it was connected but broken when i replaced it. It would still slightly disconnect when accellerating. I still bet its that hose, thats the only hose that you'd be able to hear while driving. The others are small so you can't hear the leaks.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Was the hose split. If I take it off I should see a split? When I have the problem of the car not wanting to go and stalling if I rev it up I can hear the same hissing boost noise. When I let out the clutch it wants to die. I have to really rev it and slip the clutch to get it to move and then I hear and feel a light pop and then the car takes off like nothing is wrong. Still stumped.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Huck

Was the hose split. If I take it off I should see a split? When I have the problem of the car not wanting to go and stalling if I rev it up I can hear the same hissing boost noise. When I let out the clutch it wants to die. I have to really rev it and slip the clutch to get it to move and then I hear and feel a light pop and then the car takes off like nothing is wrong. Still stumped.
Sounds like a vaccum leak. Check the L shaped hose that runs along the intake manifold behind the throtle body, along with all the other little hoses and check valves in that area. If you make a boost leak tester that would help too by presurizing everything from the turbo through the intercooler to the intake mani, etc. In other words, a boost leak tester will also help you find a vac leak too. Search on it.
The crank case vent hose shouldnt make your engine want to stall or cause any noticeable driveability issues if broken. There might be a potent oil smell, but thats about it.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Started the car this morning and it was cold and the car had a hard time idling and died. Started it back up and it had a real erratic idle and would die. Car would not idle untilit warmed up. Went out and built a boost leak tester and found a leak in the intercooler. Ordered an intercooler from MPLSChase so when it gets here I will report if that fixed all the problems but who knows it may have another leak somewhere and possible coil pack problems. Thanks again for all your help and I will let you know what happens.

Huck

Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

hey i had the same problem with my car , and i found out that it was my connecters that connect to the coils was the problem. the inside of the connecters was broken (their kinda orangey plastics) and their is also a line thats connected to the 4th coil that was burnt, that was a problem to. but the connecters was really old that u would just touch them a they'd break. hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 01' A4 1.8T Quattro 5 speed problems