Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1.8t Spark Plugs... (ya, another one)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Site Moderator
Default 1.8t Spark Plugs... (ya, another one)

Ok I know there are a helluva lot of threads about what spark plugs perform best and different peoples oppinions. But I just did tons of reading on Audiworld and generated a pretty solid conclusion on what is best for the 1.8t. I'm not going to reference all the threads I read, but, basically if you are running stock boost (7-10psi) up to a chipped boost of no more than 18 psi, NGK BKR6E copper plugs are the one's to use. If you are chipped or have a BT and are running boost greater than 18 psi, or reaching 1.3 bar (19psi)-or more- BKR7E (one range cooler than BKR6E) are the one's to use. I know a lot of us that are chipped are running 19-21 psi, and some others are closer to 15-17 psi. So I think there is a fine line where it is difficult to decide which plugs to use for best performance. Some people have complained about detonation and other running problems that using a different plug may be the solution to. If you are boosting at or very close to 20psi, i would recomend changing to bkr7e. The worst that can happen is the plug wont get hot enough and you will run a little rich and possibly get a missfire. But I think its worth a shot compared to as if you are using a hotter plug such as the bkr6e and detonate because of it and run lean. They are only $1.50-$2.00 each, so it may be worth a shot. I highly doubt that anyone here is running the bkr7e's with only a chip/k03, but it seems there are a handfull of people over on audi world that are, and have good things to say about it. So again, if you boost 19 psi or greater try the bkr7e's. Plus they are copper, and everyone knows copper is best anyways.
There were a few threads over on audiworld by "experts" saying to use one cooler range plug than stock if you run 1.3 bar or more (19psi+).. Thats the best reference i can give right now cuz im too lazy to go back and dig them up again.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 1.8t Spark Plugs... (ya, another one)

Wait... I'm confused

I highly doubt that anyone here is running the bkr7e's with only a chip/k03, but it seems there are a handfull of people over on audi world that are, and have good things to say about it

I thought you said it you were running less than 19 boost you should run the 6es... So, which one is best to run? I'm going to get chipped by the end of the next week, and want to make sure I get the right spark plugs AND space them correctly as well.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Site Moderator

.028 for chipped or big turbo, .030 for stock.

I was trying to say that most people who are only chipped with their stock k03 turbo probably would run bkr6e only (or stock equivilant) and not bkr7e because bkr7e is a cooler plug known to run best with BIG TURBO'd 1.8t's. Im just saying id give the bkr7e's a shot if you are k03 chipped and running 19 or more psi. some people that are k03 chipped run 15-17 psi, which wouldnt make sense to try the cooler plug and should stick with the bkr6e. Not all chips give the same boost and not all cars take to the chipping the same way. It seems most people with giac boost closer to 20 while a lot of people with apr boost closer to 16 for example. Its case by case, and I wouldnt go changing your plugs without verifying what your boost is with a boost gauge. I boost close to or at 20 psi so im gunna try the bkr7e plug.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Zombie Defense Force

sticky this asap

Old 08-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Site Moderator

i switched from bkr6e to bkr7e today.. my old ones only had 3k miles on them. the car pulls a lot harder and smoother and there are no miss fires. A deffinate improvement, ill take them out next week to make sure they look ok.