Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 A4 1.8T Quattro rough idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Default RE: 1997 A4 1.8T Quattro rough idle problem

I think the problem with your car is definately the same problem with mine, we have all the same symptoms and have tried about all the same things. I look forward to one of us finding the solution soon! Good luck man

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
1st Gear

Ok, will wait until theCTS arrives and put that in. If I'm stillgetting misfiresI'll try some swapping and check blocks 015/016.

I checked 015 and 016 when I got home from work today. Looked like cyls 4 and 2 were misfiring most. If I rev the engine up just a bit, misfiring stops completely. I also noticed my check engine light will go off when Idrive on the highway for a while, and came back on when I got backhome and let it idle. If I barelygive it some gas andhold the rpm's at 1000, only cyls 4 and 2 show misfires counting up slowly, 1 and 3 will stay at 0. I can just disconnect the connectors going to coilpacks when the engine is running right? My idea is I want to disconnect 2 and 4, and check blocks 015/016 for misfires on 1 and 3. I'm thinking that the misfiring cyls are bad enough that they could be setting off the misfire detection on other cyls. Has that been known to happen? Getting 4 new coilpacks might be a good idea, since I have no idea if they have ever been replaced, but I just don't have the money right now. So, I'll put the new CTS in when it gets here, if that doesn't work, I get paid on Friday so I can try some swapping and if disconnecting/swapping coilpacks isolates the problem, I can afford to order a couple. Hopefully will have this solved soon.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
4th Gear

make sure to give your plugs another good look once you can, that can help pinpoint problems depending on what they look like, and look really really closely for cracks in the ceramic, and see if the ones misfiring are wet with gas, or dry. Start the car for a 20 seconds before you pull them out.
If they are dry, maybe its injector, if wet probably coil issues.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM
4th Gear

This has been a good read!!! Have you figured it out yet? I had to replace my CTS and that fixed a couple problems that I was having... Just make sure that o-ring is on there! I forgot that part... actually it was on wrong and made it about 3 miles then my car overheated because I pumped all my coolant out onto the road.

Josh

Old 06-17-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear

Ok, changed the CTS w/ new o-ring and took a short drive yesterday, but still misfires while idling, so CTS not the problem. Today I started the car and ran it for 20 secs, then pulled out each spark plug and looked at them. I don't have much experience checking spark plugs, but after about 200 miles or so since I put them in, they look pretty black/charcoaly, dry, no visible cracks in them. Smelled like pure gasoline too. Put them back in, started the car andwatched misfire counters in vag-com blocks 015/016. Cyl 4 seemed to count the highest fastest, so I turned off the engine, swapped 3 and 4, then restarted and checked the misfire counters again. Looked like 3 started to count up first, but then all the other ones started to count up too, looked like all of them were misfiring about the same amount after a min or so. I revved the engine and held it at around 2000 rpms and the misfires will stop, misfire counters will reset to zero, and when I let off the throttle back to idle, a different cylinder will be misfiring the most. Confusing. I gotsome money to spend since I just got my paycheck on Fri, so I found a set of 4 coil packs on ebay motors, OEM Beru, $125 new, free shipping. I think $31.25 a piece is a pretty sweet deal for new oem coil packs so I went ahead and ordered them. I'lltry those out as soon as I get them. I'll put in a new set of NGK BKR6E spark plugs to go with the coil packs too. Oh and I'll see if I can pick up some of that dielectric grease and put it on the ICM connectors and on the inside of the end of the coilpacks (the rubber hole that goes over the spark plug right?) If that don't fix the problemI dunno what will. Thanx again everyone for the help and I'll post back whether or not the new coilpacks work.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:32 PM
4th Gear

Ok, the plugs are black and wet, so you're defintely getting gas, just not firing.
You have ruled out just about everything else, I am betting the coil packs are the issue.
I'll be very surprised if new coils dont fix the problem, since you have ruled everything else out.
What did you gap thge plugs at initially? Did you look at them closely for cracks?
Anyway, you said you are putting in plugs as well.
Heck, once you get all this done, the thing should run like new! Good luck, let us know. I dont know what else could possibly cause you misfires, except for actual problems in the wiring between the ICM and coilpacks.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 PM

I hope its the coilpacks too buddy!!

That would mean that is probably what is wrong with my car!!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

It's been a long time since I posted since I was on vacation for a week. Anyways, I put the new coilpacks in my car and it didn't fix the problem. I got some new NGK copper spark plugs that I'll put in tonight and I'll drive it around and see if it runs any better, but I doubt the misfires at idle will be fixed. So, I'm unsure of what to do next. I guess my parents neighbors' son is an audi technition and maybe I can talk to him about the problem and maybe he'll be able to help me check for things beyond what I can check for like bad wiring, or timing issues or whatever.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

Hey, ok so yeah I put in the new spark plugs and same problem. I think I need to talk to the guy who replaced the turbo and see what he says. I'm all out of ideas.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:50 PM
4th Gear

OK, wow, all that you've done, and still misfiring.

At this point, I need to go back and read this whole thing again.

From what I can remember, youve done about everthing, so maybe now we are looking at a leak in the head gasket, or something similar that would still cause misfires given everything you've done.

Good to hear your neighbor is a tech.
I'll re-read this, look at my troubleshooting guides, and see if I can come up with anything else for you to look at. Maybe he can give you some insight also.

Quick Reply: 1997 A4 1.8T Quattro rough idle problem