Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 2 piece wheels

I want to know if i take apart my wheels, will my wheel get damage with the tire still mounted on? Also whats the CORRECT way to do this?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 2 piece wheels

Never heard of anyone taking apart the wheel while the tire is mounted.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 PM
3rd Gear

I just got mine back together, I'll post how to when i get back from dinner

Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

kool

Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, first you have to determine how they are designed, are the lips serperable from the back wheel shell, or is it just the spokes that comes out, mine are 3 piece so the lip, shell, and spokes are all seperate pieces.

Next deflate the air out of the tires, if the lips are serperable it is extremly important that all the air comes out of the tire otherwise the seal b/w the lip and shell will blow and you will hafta pull the tire and reseal the seal, and get the tire mounted (don't ask how i know that). Next carefully unscrew the bolts by turning the back nut, not the front bolt. Unbolt them in a pattern as you would unbolt the wheel, opposite sides. Mark on the back of the spokes and on the wheel so you bolt it back together in the place for balancing purposes. Once there out you should have your wheel apart.

Assemby
To assemble line up the mark you made b/w the spokes and wheel. I used some loc tite, and reassembles all the bolts again in a pattern similar to bolting on a wheel. Next I used a torque wrench and torqued the bolts to 32ft/lbs but I think all types of wheels are different. Once your done that part the wheels should be done, just reinflate.

Here's some pics

Here you can see the lip and rear shell are seperate pieces

And the final result

Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
1st Gear

Tom, what do you mean by unbolting from the back instead of the front? Oh yeh, are those lips stainless steel? The look chrome! what paint you use btw.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:45 PM
3rd Gear

What kind of wheels do you have, you wheels might not have a seperable lip. I think the lips are stainless but I just polished stripped the clear coat and then polished them and didn't use any paint. The 2nd and 3rd pic are how they looked before i redid them and the 1st and 4th pic are the finished product

Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

I have At Italia rivas, i don't think the lip is seperable.

Hmmm i need to learn how to polish like you!

Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear

Yea, I'm not sure on those wheels, but most likely the lip is not sepereable which makes things a little easier.

I stripped the clear off and they were fairly shiny, then I just went over it with some 0000 steal wool and wd-40, and then went over that with mothers mag and aluminum polish, and then carnibura (sp?) wax. Heres a pic of the clear coat being stripped

Old 04-07-2005, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

sorry for all the questions Tom, but after you stripped of the clear coat why did it look like there not metal on the lip? but like yellow?

Quick Reply: 2 piece wheels