Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Audi A4 with P0113 Trouble only on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 07:58 PM
1st Gear
Default 2012 Audi A4 with P0113 Trouble only on Startup

Hi All, Trying to diagnose a P0113 trouble code that I am getting only on startup. I start the engine and it seems to start up just fine like usual, but the P0113 code is thrown. With my scanner connected I read and clear the trouble code and the car drives fine without throwing the code again until I stop the engine and then restart it. A couple of questions: (1) are the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor two separate sensors, or are they both integrated into the MAF ? (2) If they are two separate sensors on this vehicle, Where is the IAT sensor located relative to the MAF sensor which is easily accessible on the air intake manifold downstream from the air filter housing box? I am speculating that the P0113 code is being caused by a faulty sensor, is that a reasonable guess, or should I be checking something else?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Old 04-15-2022, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drmattstevens
Hi All, Trying to diagnose a P0113 trouble code that I am getting only on startup. I start the engine and it seems to start up just fine like usual, but the P0113 code is thrown. With my scanner connected I read and clear the trouble code and the car drives fine without throwing the code again until I stop the engine and then restart it. A couple of questions: (1) are the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor two separate sensors, or are they both integrated into the MAF ? (2) If they are two separate sensors on this vehicle, Where is the IAT sensor located relative to the MAF sensor which is easily accessible on the air intake manifold downstream from the air filter housing box? I am speculating that the P0113 code is being caused by a faulty sensor, is that a reasonable guess, or should I be checking something else?

Thanks in advance, Matt
Folks ,
following up on what I have figured out, and solved the problem
Car model: 2012 AUDI A4 4 cyclinder engine s-line

First, I called the St.Paul Audi dealer and talked to the service parts department manager .
The IAT sensor is not integrated with the MAF sensor, they are two distinctly different parts.
The IAF part No. is 06H-905-379

With the car hood open, standing in front of the car and looking toward the rear ..
The Mass Air Flow sensor is on your LEFT. Easily accessible.
It is located in the black, large-diameter airflow tube just downstream of the Air Filter housing.
To remove it, you need a T20 "SECURITY BIT" to take out the two screws.
This was not the problem. This sensor rarely fails.

The Intake Air Flow (IAF) sensor is located on the right side of the engine, also easily accessible.
Remove, and gently lift off the black plastic cover that shields the top of the engine, it will pop off.
On the right side of the engine, there will be an electrical pug leading to the sensor.
you can ID this location by looking for a single screw holding the top of the sensor in place.

You can remove the sensor and test it. just google the articles and videos about this. Personally, I would just buy a new part.
The OEM replacement from the AUDI dealer is $125. You most likely buy a suitable replacement part online for $45.

The problem that I had was that the electrical plug was not fully seated and clipped in.
Once I located the sensor, At random I pulled on the head of the electrical connection and it easily slide off !!!
These clip connections are designed such that they "click-in" when fully seated, and do not come part unless
intentionally pulled apart using a special tool to depress the click tab, or using a small flat blade screwdriver.
I fully seated the connection to the sensor, started the engine several times and problem solved, no error code thrown.

This leads me to believe that there may have been some foul play involved.
These types of connections simply DO NOT come apart, EVER!
I very recently had some engine work done to replace a leaky water pump (the car had almost 100,000 miles on it after 10 years)
, but looking at the sequence of what needs to be removed to replace a water pump on this vehicle, there is no reason to unplug the IAT sensor, period.
So the only reasonable explanation is that it was intentionally unplugged and loosely connected so that the problem issue would surface,
and maybe I would bring the car back up to the repair garage. Very sneaky and more repair $$