Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#3 Ignition Coil Power Overlode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default #3 Ignition Coil Power Overlode?

over a month back my car was freaking me out. over 3k RPM it was accelerating smoothly, it was jerking very violently instead. I sent it to the shop and they told me there was a power overlode in the 3rd ignition coil. So they replaced all my ignition coils.

It's doing it again!!! not as violently this time, bit its the same thing. Could this be a side effect of my performance chip (APR)? What else may be causing this? I doubt it's jsut that i've had two bad ignition coils in a row that doesnt make sense, it's something else causing the problem.

btw it's a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T 5spd FWD - only mods being APR chip and Forge 007 DV

Old 09-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Default RE: #3 Ignition Coil Power Overlode?

were the coils checked each time if yes and they were proven damaged then I would look to the spark amplifier but on the other hand it could be the chip not set up right

Old 09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

See what codes are stored there now.

I have the same engine and an APR chip. No problems.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 AM
2nd Gear

where can i go to get the codes checked for free? And not an Audi dealer b/c the closest one is 52 miles away..

cracked windshield david? funny, that happened to me a few weeks ago as well. it was a small hairline crack in the very center of the bottom, just came out of nowhere!! Luckily FL Sate Law requires the insurance company to replace it so it costed me nothing.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
4th Gear

Autozone will scan for codes for no charge. Alternatively you can use the vag com locator in the helpful links to find someone local with a vagcom. These individuals usually charge a beer or pizza.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: david9999

Autozone will scan for codes for no charge. Alternatively you can use the vag com locator in the helpful links to find someone local with a vagcom. These individuals usually charge a beer or pizza.
I cant find it?

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

My car did the same thing and Audi said they had to clean the throttle-body, then now they tell me a new transmission.

Check out the first option. Good Luck

Old 09-12-2006, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: EuroAudi

My car did the same thing and Audi said they had to clean the throttle-body, then now they tell me a new transmission.

Check out the first option. Good Luck
oh god lol, not what i wanted to hear but thanks for being honest! but are you automatic or 5spd?

Old 09-15-2006, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear

bump

BTW autozone said they can only get the codes if the check engine light is on, but it takes 3 codes to engage the check engine light so my check engine light isnt on. Where can i go to get the codes checked even when the check engine light isnt on? Where is this 'vag locater thing you were talking about?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure if this would be the prob but when my car started to act up like that it was the maf sensor on the top of the air box. But you dont need three codes for the warning light to go on. My went on with just one code reading

Quick Reply: #3 Ignition Coil Power Overlode?