Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to paint my wheels and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:35 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: About to paint my wheels and brakes

get the duplicor caliper paint kit from any auto store, like autozone or pepboys,

Old 11-07-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

nice dude you rock. i got one more question though. does anyone know where to get a tail light smoking kit for an a4. i know they make a kit that is cut to fit the mustang gt. its like 60$. i was thinking about using some high heat res. paint to paint my exhaust tips black, what do you guys think? also what kind of paint.

Besides dirt or worn out brakes what would be the reason for them to squeak, im going to be taking them off anyways and i want to make them stop squeeking. it is spontanious as well it only does it at random times and it wont squeek more than it does squeek.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

bump

Old 11-09-2006, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Looks good if you paint the hub on the rotor aswell. Preperation is everything !!!!! Clean, clean,clean!
As for the squeek, i dont know. Just make sure there is no loud grinding (metal on metal). Im not sure about the black tail pipes, but it might look cool if everything else is blacked out. Just make sure you do a good enough paint job to make it look factory or atleast like the exhaust came that color.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

I suggest you use a brush on paint kit, its alot easier. Theres nothing difficult about removing the wheels just get a real jack (not the one that comes with the car) and a couple jack stands. Criss cross bolt pattern removing and installing. Goodluck.
Agreed, I used the duplicolor kit on my car, 2 coats of paint did the trick, its been 3 months and they're red as ever.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Riko

nice dude you rock. i got one more question though. does anyone know where to get a tail light smoking kit for an a4. i know they make a kit that is cut to fit the mustang gt. its like 60$. i was thinking about using some high heat res. paint to paint my exhaust tips black, what do you guys think? also what kind of paint.

Besides dirt or worn out brakes what would be the reason for them to squeak, im going to be taking them off anyways and i want to make them stop squeeking. it is spontanious as well it only does it at random times and it wont squeek more than it does squeek.

Squeeking can be caused by quite a few things other than worn or dirty pads. I replaced my pads when I painted the calipers so that I knew everything was done right (and to upgrade the pads). The first thing that comes to mind for squeeking (and no pulsing in the brake pedal while braking) would be the pad wiggling around in there. There should be a little pad on the back of the brake pads (the part that contacts the calipers). You should also spread some kind of crap on those pads, but I can't think of what it is called. It usually comes with a new set of pads. You just smear it all over the back and it helps keep them from squeeking. When you go to autozone, you can ask about it and they should know what you want. I usually see it in little rip open packets on the counter next to the packets for antisieze and that goop you use for spark plug wires.

Sorry for the brain fart tonight, but I can't think of the names of those two products to save my life.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:06 PM

When it comes to brakes, always do the job right! Whether painting them or replacing them, its always best to do it right. Buy the tool (brake caliper piston depressor), otherwise you could hurt your brakes. Always ALWAYs ALWAYS make sure to crack open the bleeder on the caliper before pushing the piston back in, you can take out your ABS computer real fast if you don't. And always bleed the brakes when finished, starting with the pass rear, driver's rear, pass front, and driver's front. And always make sure you have a firm pedal before you drive the car! A spongy pedal (if it happens you'll know immediately what I'm talking about), means you still have air in the lines.

If the brakes are squeaking it could be several things. Worn pads are usually the main culprit, but if it happens intermittently (seems to be my word of the week), it is more than likely the fact that whoever did the job last neglected to put brake caliper grease on the backing plate of the pad (lubricates between the pad and caliper, so no squeaking!). it's a simple task and if you're painting them anyways, spend the $1.99 to buy some and grease them properly. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear

Brake caliper grease????? I was trying to get too complicated and think of a different name. Thats almost too easy.

BTW, the goo for the spark plugs I mentioned in my last post is called dielectric.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info guys, it is helping me a lot.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 PM
4th Gear

Its just silicone.

Like high temp rtv gaket maker is about the same and would work fine. Its just a silicone.

ORIGINAL: TDRILL

Brake caliper grease????? I was trying to get too complicated and think of a different name. Thats almost too easy.

BTW, the goo for the spark plugs I mentioned in my last post is called dielectric.