Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull trigger on my first new car, am I getting a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Default About to pull trigger on my first new car, am I getting a good deal?

About to make my first car purchase and excited as all hell. Key thing is I want to make sure I am not getting screwed on anything.

Car specs:

2007 Audi A4
Premium package (leather, rimz, sunroof)
Quattro AWD
6 spd manual
Silver Metallic
Miles: ~45

MSRP: $32,840
Edmunds price with destination: $31,527
My negotiated price with everything but tax: $30,000

Loan term: 60 Months
Loan Rate ~%8.49
My credit score: ~700, first time car purchase
My job starts in 1 month, so its a loan without current job on hand.
Job income after taxes per month: 2500
Car payment: ~513 with 6.5k down.

Should I pull the trigger on this purchase? I have a bit to wait, the sales guy has been VERY cool about everything, no real pressure besides the "car might get sold", which wont happen since they are closed for today, and not open sunday. Monday morning before class is when I would be signing the deal... doubt anyone is going to buy this car off the lot before I get there . I am very excited about this, but I want to take a step back and view the whole picture before I put 500 bucks on my credit card and lock myself into the car purchasing contract.

Oh, and helpful things like average upkeep on this model would be nice. I come from the land of Volvos, and Audi is a bit new to me

Old 07-07-2007, 11:44 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: About to pull trigger on my first new car, am I getting a good deal?

You didnt mention an important part.

Is it 3.0, or a 2.0T? If its the 2.0T, get it, and congrats!

Its a heck of a car for 30k.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: About to pull trigger on my first new car, am I getting a good deal?

Hello,I just talked to my uncle...He used to be in sales at our local Audi dealer..He let me know that a average rule of thumb for mark up including dealer mark up and factory to dealer incentives is about $7500 per $30000...This means if the car books msrp around 30k then the mark up is about an average of $7500...I would say you should work with them a little more and if the car is bought around 26000-27000 you are doing pretty good,This saying they need to make a sale,not just need a sale..the end of the month is the best time to do this for sure..

Brian

Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 AM

Yes this is the 2.0T model. Right now the key thing that is really concerning me is all the stuff I am finding about the 3rd gear syncro on the 6 spd transmission. Anyone care to comment how common this is? Was the transmission ever updated to correct the problem?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
1st Gear

personally unless you really want a manual i stongly suggest the automatic. It can be used as a manual ina way aswel with the tiptronic gear system. wel worth it and loads of fun!! and i noticed you said manual not stick and loan not lease so i guess you are from the uk, and realise it may cost a bit more for auto but all i can say is if you are buying it new it is wrth jus takin a look at the option as you will have it for a long time. and if it is a loan it wont cost much more a month ither.

also before i go i would highly recomend (if the car you want is new)ordering the 08 from the dealeship and waitig 3 months that way you can get what you want and surpriseingly i found it cheaper! 3 months is octber too and they do great loan dealsthen!!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 AM
4th Gear

Since the amount is in dollars, I'd assume he is not in the UK.

Since he said loan, not lease, I'd assume that he is buying the car, not leasing it.

Sounds like a reasonable price for the car.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

Interesting article in Saturday's L.A. Times about car leasing. 56.8% of Audi A4 buyers lease them.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ck=4&cset=true

Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: A4...kyle...08

personally unless you really want a manual i stongly suggest the automatic. It can be used as a manual ina way aswel with the tiptronic gear system. wel worth it and loads of fun!! and i noticed you said manual not stick and loan not lease so i guess you are from the uk, and realise it may cost a bit more for auto but all i can say is if you are buying it new it is wrth jus takin a look at the option as you will have it for a long time. and if it is a loan it wont cost much more a month ither.

also before i go i would highly recomend (if the car you want is new)ordering the 08 from the dealeship and waitig 3 months that way you can get what you want and surpriseingly i found it cheaper! 3 months is octber too and they do great loan dealsthen!!

FLAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get an automatic you will regret it for the rest of your entire, natural life JK..... Don't get it you'll just regret it.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

+1 for wiating for the 08, i dont like teh b7 icky car, the payemnt sounds about right and your making about 40k a year. a enw car maintenace isnt htat bad cause will take careof all the big **** themselves. id wait and put more money down for the 08, a good 10k loan will drop your interest rate plus i would shop around for a better rate, 700 credit score should put you in high 5's low 6 not 8.5 screw that.