Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light / Flashing brake light EASY fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Default ABS light / Flashing brake light EASY fix

Hey guys-

As with many people I've read about, my ABS system isn't functional. In my case, one of the wheel speed sensors is bad.

Personally, I hate ABS. I don't like the feeling that something else is controlling MY car. Yes, I realize that the wheels might lock up, yes I realize that I can lift off to stop it. (Plus a lot of stuff is more fun in the winter without ABS :-P)

So anyway, I searched on how to disconnect the bulb, or fool the flashing idiot lights on my dash into turning off, but I couldnt find anything... so if this has already been done (I'm sure it has) I'm sorry for the repost.

I used some information from TomRitt (bitch basket :-D) and was able to get the lights off. Thought I'd do a small write-up in case there's anybody else with the annoying flashing abs lights.

-I took out the gauge cluster first... (pop off plastic cover above steering wheel, take out two torx bolts, pull cluster out)

-Then, on the left side, coming into the back of the gauge cluster, there is a light blue harness with about 40 little wires coming into it from the car.

-I unplugged the harness, and if you look closely, on the light blue plastic piece, there's little tiny numbers, showing 1 at the beginning of the first row and 16 at the end, and then 17 at the beginning of the second row and 33 (i think?) at the end. Find wire number 19. This is the signal light for the ABS annoying-ness.

-Take the light blue plastic piece and slide it off the wires, remembering which one is 19.

-Now that you know which one it is, cut it, leaving room to strip and splice.

-The ABS module sends a ground to the gauge cluster when everything is OK, so you need to take the end that goes to the cluster, and splice it to a ground wire. I used a nice bolt near the fuse panel.

Tape off the splice and the exposed cut wire that leads into the dash, slide the blue piece back into place, connect the harness connector back up to the cluster, slide the cluster back in, screw in the torx bolts, and voila! no more flashing light.

...So the ABS doesn't function, but since I dont care, this is the perfect easy fix. Also, this is for a 98 1.8T, not sure if / how this changes for other models.

Again, if this is a repost, sorry... but I figured somebody out there might find it useful.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:20 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: ABS light / Flashing brake light EASY fix

Thats one way to do it.

Why did you not just replace the wheel sensor? Its not to hard to do.

You have just made your car about 10x less safe. ABS is PROVEN to stop your car in a much shorter distance that you ever could without it.

So, you just disabled probably the biggest safety feature your car has, because you may wreck into something now, where as before you nay have been able to AVOID an accident altogether.

Just don't tell your insurance agent!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

yeah, i know it makes it "less safe", but I've driven old cars and/or cheap cars my whole life, I really dislike ABS. I've raced cars, currently road race bikes, and I believe I'm well enough in control of my car to not justify spending the money and time on something that I'm really not fond of.

Just my opinion :-P (there's enough people out there that are bad drivers and ABS isn't going to keep them from crashing.)

Figured there must be a couple people out there that are too broke / too lazy to fix the same problem, just an alternative solution.

edit-> Also, I didnt "disable" the super awesome safety system, it's been broken since I bought it... I just stopped the annoying flashing light.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: daesharacor

Hey guys-

As with many people I've read about, my ABS system isn't functional. In my case, one of the wheel speed sensors is bad.

Personally, I hate ABS. I don't like the feeling that something else is controlling MY car. Yes, I realize that the wheels might lock up, yes I realize that I can lift off to stop it. (Plus a lot of stuff is more fun in the winter without ABS :-P)

So anyway, I searched on how to disconnect the bulb, or fool the flashing idiot lights on my dash into turning off, but I couldnt find anything... so if this has already been done (I'm sure it has) I'm sorry for the repost.

I used some information from TomRitt (bitch basket :-D) and was able to get the lights off. Thought I'd do a small write-up in case there's anybody else with the annoying flashing abs lights.

-I took out the gauge cluster first... (pop off plastic cover above steering wheel, take out two torx bolts, pull cluster out)

-Then, on the left side, coming into the back of the gauge cluster, there is a light blue harness with about 40 little wires coming into it from the car.

-I unplugged the harness, and if you look closely, on the light blue plastic piece, there's little tiny numbers, showing 1 at the beginning of the first row and 16 at the end, and then 17 at the beginning of the second row and 33 (i think?) at the end. Find wire number 19. This is the signal light for the ABS annoying-ness.

-Take the light blue plastic piece and slide it off the wires, remembering which one is 19.

-Now that you know which one it is, cut it, leaving room to strip and splice.

-The ABS module sends a ground to the gauge cluster when everything is OK, so you need to take the end that goes to the cluster, and splice it to a ground wire. I used a nice bolt near the fuse panel.

Tape off the splice and the exposed cut wire that leads into the dash, slide the blue piece back into place, connect the harness connector back up to the cluster, slide the cluster back in, screw in the torx bolts, and voila! no more flashing light.

...So the ABS doesn't function, but since I dont care, this is the perfect easy fix. Also, this is for a 98 1.8T, not sure if / how this changes for other models.

Again, if this is a repost, sorry... but I figured somebody out there might find it useful.

I was actually looking for something like this.. I thought i had a damaged sensor.. turns out its the module.. at 1200$ I think ill continue without the ABS.. never had it on previous vehicles so wtv... My module is now unplugged therefore I have that annoying ABS light, I was going to take the bulb out but i guess ill just do this instead.

Thanks!

Peace

Old 05-18-2007, 01:05 AM
4th Gear

Well I guess if you didnt have it to start with, then no loss there.
Its especially useful on slick roads, where you may otherwise completely loose traction
Or in an instance where some pulls in front of you for example, and you have no choice but to hammer the brakes and pray. In that instance, the abs may very well pay off.
But, glad to see your post is useful to others here.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

now i need to figure out which wire turn that damn cel and we would be all set.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM

as I have said ( if your into electronics ) its simple
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...ages&gbv=2

I also dont like ABS , the above link is how to fit a timer on the ABS light so it passes the road test or MOT in the UK

Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

So I attempted this mod tonight.. its a no go for my 01 B5

There is no wire located in slot 19 on the connector furthest to the left

How did you figure out it was 19 that had to be unplugged on your 98 daesharacor?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 05-18-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

Question: Say I did this as a "temporary fix" for the time being because when it comes time to selling the car I was thinking module molesters so that there wouldn't be anything not working on the car. If I had my abs module fixed and installed would this still keep the abs from not working? would I have to un-solder the splice?

Old 05-19-2007, 01:52 AM

Everyone should also know that this disables your Quattro.

Our awd has a mechanical center diff, but the front and rear diffs are open. It uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin and apply the brakes to the spinning wheel. If ABS is disabled, it can't sense the wheelspin.

Quick Reply: ABS light / Flashing brake light EASY fix