Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Tire Purchase Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Advice on Tire Purchase Please!

OK don't laugh but I have a 2001 A4 Avant (bought new) with the same original set of tires on -- Pirelli P6000's - 51K miles or so - bet it's some sort or record here.
They just about had it in the wear department though - . The tires will be Summer tires as I just bought snows this past winter (mounted on steel wheels - from Tire Rack).
I've been looking at the same tire (P6000 225/45ZR17) but honestly don't know much about what other options are available in the same price neighborhood.
Car Specs- 1.8T Std., Sports Package, HID Lights - no mods yet.
(As you can see I value handling/performance but I don't like to spend $ if I can avoid it.)

Just saw some Falken tires and they looked good and the price looked good as well.
What is the best bang for the buck is I guess what I asking about.

Thanks for the reply(s).

Old 08-09-2005, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Advice on Tire Purchase Please!

I run Falkens... I have no dramas with them whatsoever. Handles great.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:39 AM

staying with pirellis isnt a bad option, and falkens would be good too. just stay away from kuhmo. they are great for the first 20k and then they are garbage.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:45 AM

Kuhmo's arent too bad... the front tires wore out in 2 years and the back tires are fine.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:48 AM

yeah i have just heard bad reviews past 20k. ask brrman i think he had some issues with his after that point, but correct me if im wrong.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 PM

my next set of tires are going Fuzions ZRi I've been selling these like crazy and have heard great reviews no complaints

Old 08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

mmm.. falken ziex's in mine as well.... they apparently work really well with audis ... dont know why. But the tread is great and they last a while for racing tires. Or.... get some Kumho's... for the price they will do the job.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Site Moderator

CL - a friend of mine has had his Fuzions for 5k and absolutely hates them. They break lose very easily and are noisy already.
His car is fairly tight, with drive train stabilizer, rear sway bar, race springs and Konis.

I like the Falken ST115. Probably could have gotten a better perfoming tire in the rain, but these are sooooo quiet. I love it.

I must change my view of Kuhmo. I was very disappointed with them when they were shot after 15K, but I now know it was mainly an alignment issue. My car was way off spec and the negative camber basically destroyed the insides of all 4 tires. That said, they are an ok tire, but don't expect them to perform like the big boys - they do get loud after 10-15K too.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:53 PM

im all about michelin pilots if you got the money, check tire rack for performace reviews, they compare them all and the michelin won. also they have a formula 1 program which is without a doubt the utimate in tire R&D

Old 08-09-2005, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

brrman
CL - a friend of mine has had his Fuzions for 5k and absolutely hates them. They break lose very easily and are noisy already.
His car is fairly tight, with drive train stabilizer, rear sway bar, race springs and Konis.

I like the Falken ST115. Probably could have gotten a better perfoming tire in the rain, but these are sooooo quiet. I love it.

I must change my view of Kuhmo. I was very disappointed with them when they were shot after 15K, but I now know it was mainly an alignment issue. My car was way off spec and the negative camber basically destroyed the insides of all 4 tires. That said, they are an ok tire, but don't expect them to perform like the big boys - they do get loud after 10-15K too.
Your friend must have a bad set because mine are awesome. They are abnormally quite, are in no way harsh, and I have a very hard time breaking them loose. I've also noticed no sign of abnormal or premature wear. At $75 a tire (225/50R16) they can't be beaten!

Quick Reply: Advice on Tire Purchase Please!