Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator removal troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Alternator removal troubles

Hi everyone,

This morning I put a brave face on and decided to remove the alternator that has gone bad 2 days ago.
I have a 2001 A4 Quattro 1.8T.

Everything was going fine until I got to removing the viscous clutch pulley in front of the alternator.
Basically there are two notches on the side of the pulley mount that is supposed to line up with a small (5mm?) hole in the pulley to hold the pulley in place while loosening the clutch bolt.

Well, I put a long pinch inside the notches and through the pulley and started undoing the pulley bolt (slowly). The pinch was quite secure and pulley was not turning at all. The clutch bolt was not budging, so I increased the pressure on the wrench (with metric hex socket). Suddenly, one of the notches (upper rear) broke off. I tried again after making sure that the pinch was secure, but this time bottom front notch broke off as well (Serves me right). Those two notches were the ones taking the pressure for the direction I was turning the wrench, which was clockwise as you are facing the car.

Needless to say my heart was racing at this point and decided to abandon the project for tonight. Put everything back together and closed up.

Where did I go wrong and how screwed am I?

Is there any other way to get that bottom, long alternator bolt out without removing the viscous clutch? Or Is there a way to remove the clutch without the use of the notches?

If I take it to a mechanic, will they be able to replace the alternator with those notches broken off?

One of the independent shops here, which are on the expensive side quoted me $780(!) for the job, claiming cost of parts (rebuilt 120v Valeo), $450 or so, and rest the labor. Sounds like a rip off. Do you think it's way over reasonable?

What should I expect to pay for the job considering the added problem with the broken notches?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Default RE: Alternator removal troubles

Man, this is just another reason why I hate my interference engine (they call it that for a reason)...I haven't done this job as of yet **knocking on wood**

I know it's not exactly the same, but hopefully this DIY gives you a hand

CLICK HERE FOR DIY*

good luck!...hopefully something in there can give you a hand....keep us updated!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the link and sympathy qUaTtRoA4.

I have seen that DIY before I started the job, however that is for VW Jetta, I believe and also it does not have the same problem I'm facing - the necessity to remove the viscous clutch.

I do actually know how to remove the alternator, however I'm stuck with the problem I'm describing above.

Thanks anyway for info. Any one else can answer my questions please?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

After some reading I found that the viscous fan clutch has a reverse thread. That's probably where my problem originated from. I also found that I may be able to remove the fan clutch with a pin spanner. And found a few links:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose_ Adjustable+Wrenches?keyword=adjustable+face&sLevel =0|1|2&sid=IDx20050303x0000012

and

http://www.samstagsales.com/vwaudi.htm
(search for Caliper face spanner at the above page).

Anyone else can address my original questions okease?

Thanks