Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APR Software question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default APR Software question

does APR have any software that will work with my car, 02 B6 A4 1.8t quattro, if i want to upgrade to the K04 turbo? or am i forced to use GIAC FX program? dont want to use any but the two. please dont reply with anything pertaining to n e thing but giac or apr.

**please dont respond asking me to search, searched more today than someone would in a whole week, had the day off spent past 5 hours in front of this screen, not looking for unnecessary wise remarks. either u have an educated answer or you dont. thank you.[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 03-23-2006, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Default RE: APR Software question

yes APR has a basic chip for ur car, and no it has not K04 software so if u plan to upgrade to a ko4 look else were
i say go with GIAC casue htey will give u a discount on the KO4 software when u upgrade from the basic chip

Old 03-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: 02A4_B6

does APR have any software that will work with my car, 02 B6 A4 1.8t quattro, if i want to upgrade to the K04 turbo? or am i forced to use GIAC FX program? dont want to use any but the two. please dont reply with anything pertaining to n e thing but giac or apr.

**please dont respond asking me to search, searched more today than someone would in a whole week, had the day off spent past 5 hours in front of this screen, not looking for unnecessary wise remarks. either u have an educated answer or you dont. thank you.[sm=feedback.gif]
Damn thats a lot of stipulations for an answer to your question.. I dont think i like the way your request contains so much dictation. If thou yield further searching, thou shall be wiser and further educated.

GIAC is your best bet brother B6.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:50 AM

Not sure which K04 you're talking about upgrading to... If it's the K04-20 (23) that the Audi TT 225hp has then NO Apr does not have it right now. I'm not 100% sure which K04 GIAC is talking about with their K04FX chip...but APR is talking about the K04-15 (barely even an upgrade from the K03-S. I've personally upgraded to the Audi TT 225 K04-23 and it's a great increase in power with software of course !!!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the responses fellas. great to get clear answers such as the ones u provided without all the forum attitude ive experienced lately. reason i was askin bout apr and giac is cause i have the Revo trial software installed right now and just not impressed. stock motor except for the bosch sport dv from a porsche i put in. just not what i expected. thanks again

Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Administrator

thanks for the responses fellas. great to get clear answers such as the ones u provided without all the forum attitude ive experienced lately. reason i was askin bout apr and giac is cause i have the Revo trial software installed right now and just not impressed. stock motor except for the bosch sport dv from a porsche i put in. just not what i expected. thanks again
the trial softwares are toned down u kno that rite, it isnt the full boost casue they dont want break ur DV or something
i had the revo trial also

Old 03-23-2006, 06:00 AM
18T
4th Gear

i think revo would be best for b6

Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

GIAC, man you get a discount! and their programs are pretty agressive from what i hear *thumbs up*

Old 03-23-2006, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

2002 B6 A4 1.8T Quattro 5-spd manual...61,000 mi

in regards to the comment that Revo's trial software is toned down because they dont want you to break your stock dv (diverter valve a.k.a bypass valve) that statement is false. the reason that their trial software is toned down is because they do not want to give you their full fledged software as a trial and take the chance of someone being able to hack the free trial timer, turn it off and u get their program for free. that was a statement straight from a Revo dealer. im just not impressed, plus due to the fact that from my research i'm under the impression that GIAC is self adapting to your mods and with Revo u need to purchase one of their SPS contollers to adjust settings such as boost and timing. which is why im kinda leaning more towards APR or GIAC. someone who knows otherwise feel free to prove me wrong, please.

heres what is getting me a lil confused. and the following "facts" im going to lay out is information that i obtained directly from the APR and GIAC official web sites. the following numbers are for the software that each company provides. i dont know the numbers for the revo injector program they only listed the increase a percent. anyone who knows Revo's number please post. thank you

APR stage 1 .............. 215 hp / 245 lb tq
GIAC ........................ 205 hp / 226 lb tq
Revo ........................ 195 hp / 225 lb tq

APR stage 1+ ............ 235 hp / 275lb tq ........ injector upgrade
GIAC FX ................... 220 hp / 246 lb tq ........ injector upgrade

GIAC FXKO4 ............... 248 hp / 266 lb tq ........ K04 turbo upgrade

now as you can see APR seems to be the leader of the pack as far as numbers go, but this is why i dont understand why everyone says that choosing between the three is just a matter of preference and that they all deliver the same horsepower.

to obtain the same amount of power that u would by only installing APR stage 1 software, from GIAC u would need their software and upgraded injectors and only see a 5hp gain over APR.

to obtain the amount of power that u would by installing APR stage 1+ software and upgraded injectors, u would need to install the GIAC software plus upgrade to a K04 turbo. so basically with GIAC id have to spend money to get a k04 as oppose to just going with APR and injectors and settling for 10hp less / 10 tq more?

everyone seems to hate the old APR/GIAC/Revo discussions but in my 20 + hours of searching the forums i havent found one person who has brought this up in this context. ive seen a dyno run in which someone from audiworld i believe tested all three but GIAC's run didnt look right, but regardless.

what here is a matter of preference? whether or not u prefer to spend an extra $1000 on a turbo upgrade for only 10 lb of torgue? it seems to me like every other company is tryin to play catch up to APR's numbers.

or is it that APR's programming runs the K03 to its absolute limit thereby greatly reducing the longevity and reliability of the turbo? and that would be the reason why GIAC and Revo run more conservative numbers? to ensure that their customers get some type of long term life from their stock K03 turbos??

in my eyes at this moment im seeing the APR stage 1+ software and injector upgrade as the most productive and cost efficient choice. if u wanted to stick with stock K03 turbo. and unless APR comes out with an upgrade for the K04 turbo then it seems like GIAC would be the way to go if u were doin a K04.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 PM

2002 B6 A4 1.8T Quattro 5-spd manual...61,000 mi

in regards to the comment that Revo's trial software is toned down because they dont want you to break your stock dv (diverter valve a.k.a bypass valve) that statement is false. the reason that their trial software is toned down is because they do not want to give you their full fledged software as a trial and take the chance of someone being able to hack the free trial timer, turn it off and u get their program for free. that was a statement straight from a Revo dealer. im just not impressed, plus due to the fact that from my research i'm under the impression that GIAC is self adapting to your mods and with Revo u need to purchase one of their SPS contollers to adjust settings such as boost and timing. which is why im kinda leaning more towards APR or GIAC. someone who knows otherwise feel free to prove me wrong, please.

heres what is getting me a lil confused. and the following "facts" im going to lay out is information that i obtained directly from the APR and GIAC official web sites. the following numbers are for the software that each company provides. i dont know the numbers for the revo injector program they only listed the increase a percent. anyone who knows Revo's number please post. thank you

APR stage 1 .............. 215 hp / 245 lb tq
GIAC ........................ 205 hp / 226 lb tq
Revo ........................ 195 hp / 225 lb tq

APR stage 1+ ............ 235 hp / 275lb tq ........ injector upgrade
GIAC FX ................... 220 hp / 246 lb tq ........ injector upgrade

GIAC FXKO4 ............... 248 hp / 266 lb tq ........ K04 turbo upgrade

now as you can see APR seems to be the leader of the pack as far as numbers go, but this is why i dont understand why everyone says that choosing between the three is just a matter of preference and that they all deliver the same horsepower.

to obtain the same amount of power that u would by only installing APR stage 1 software, from GIAC u would need their software and upgraded injectors and only see a 5hp gain over APR.

to obtain the amount of power that u would by installing APR stage 1+ software and upgraded injectors, u would need to install the GIAC software plus upgrade to a K04 turbo. so basically with GIAC id have to spend money to get a k04 as oppose to just going with APR and injectors and settling for 10hp less / 10 tq more?

everyone seems to hate the old APR/GIAC/Revo discussions but in my 20 + hours of searching the forums i havent found one person who has brought this up in this context. ive seen a dyno run in which someone from audiworld i believe tested all three but GIAC's run didnt look right, but regardless.

what here is a matter of preference? whether or not u prefer to spend an extra $1000 on a turbo upgrade for only 10 lb of torgue? it seems to me like every other company is tryin to play catch up to APR's numbers.

or is it that APR's programming runs the K03 to its absolute limit thereby greatly reducing the longevity and reliability of the turbo? and that would be the reason why GIAC and Revo run more conservative numbers? to ensure that their customers get some type of long term life from their stock K03 turbos??

in my eyes at this moment im seeing the APR stage 1+ software and injector upgrade as the most productive and cost efficient choice. if u wanted to stick with stock K03 turbo. and unless APR comes out with an upgrade for the K04 turbo then it seems like GIAC would be the way to go if u were doin a K04.

Becareful just looking at numbers (from their sites)...I'm sure tons of guys have dyno sheets in here...I'd look at those to see "real numbers" versus manufacturers numbers ...just a thought

Quick Reply: APR Software question