Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 2.0 Avant Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Default Audi A4 2.0 Avant Q's

I'm a new owner of an '07 Avant 2.0 AT. I should be happy with my purchase, but so far I've been in denial. The performance of this car is not what I've expected. The shifting of this car is very rough. When it downshifts, it is very noticeable as it gives you little jolt. The only other car that I've driven that had this characteristics was a cheap little Nissan Platina AT that I rented duringmy vacation to Mexico. While driving, the AT is very confused with the shifting. The car doesn't know when to down shift when it slows down. Coming off of a highway ramp at a yield sign, the car stays on 5th gear and the engine strains when I try to accelerate. 3rd or 4th gear would have been a better selection. After straining for good 2 seconds, it finally picks up. Everytime it strains, I'm afraid that I'm damaging the engine.
The 5th gear seems to be the biggest problem. At a regular crusing speed, when it reaches 5th gear, the engine strains for a second. This reminded me of when I first start learning how to drive a MT and I shifted into high geartoo early. When that happens, I normally give more gas so it picks up speed, orhit the gaspedalquickly so it downshifts into 4th.
The MPG on this car is also disappointing. I get about 300 miles per tank in mostly city crusing speed of 40 to 45 mph, that's approx 20 to 21mpg. I've done the calculation many times, but that's all I'm getting. The sticker on the car showed 24 to 28mpg, but my car is coming way short.
People have told me that the engine needsbreaking in. So far, it has 3k miles and I thinkit has been broken in long enough. Afterall, I can't stand the poor performance and I'm starting to regret buying this car. Comingfrom a '94Volvo 850Turbo Wagon, this car leaves alot to be desired.
Anyway, I'm taking the car back to the dealer this weekend to see if they can diagnoseany problems. I've heard that the A4'sgenerally shift poorly. Found that out a little too late.If anyonecan shed some light on the problems, please do.I'm hoping that a trip to the dealer will erase all disappointingfeelings for this car. Or is thecar under-powered? Do I need to install a mod chip (255HP) to notice a signifcant improvement in performance. Thanks forreading.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Audi A4 2.0 Avant Q's

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

you bouhgt an automatic wagon with a 2.0T...that means it's the second heaviest (3.2 avant would be heaviest) and slowest A4 available....umm, when you are slowing using TIP you should be manually downshifting, to keep the revs up (so that the power stays at the tip of your toe....umm as far as gas milage goes, that sounds correct, 20-21 in city is normal....the #s you see on the windshield when you buy it are #s generated by driving it like a grandma, im sure if you lightly accelerated and always kept the revs low your gas milage would increase....

It does not sound like there is anything wrong with your car...from what it sounds like you have yet to get the hang of tiptronic.... I would say going to the dealership would be a good thing, since you are under warranty...have them change your oil, scan for codes and maybe even have one of the techs give you a quick tutorial around the block a few times on how tiptronic works, it should not be very jerky at all unless your giving it too much/no tenough gas through the gears (you may be shifting late whilst keeping the revs too high) It took me a while to get used to the tiptronic in my jetta, and for the life of the car there was a few jerky shifts a week til it qualified for the lemon law...lol

oh!...and yes, you should get your car chipped ASAP!(some dealers are cool about it and others aren't, so ask them if they care, chips also have a valet mode, that turns them off, the only reason a dealer would look for a chip is if you had a big warranty claim that they are trying to get out of...some of the guys at the dealer actually are comissioned by the chip/f;ash tuners)...it will become a whole new car, you will be in heaven!...

alright...well hopefully somethign up there helped a bit...take it easy! and welcome to the forum!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Audi A4 2.0 Avant Q's

If you bought the TIP thats your problem! But Gas seems about right i get 350-400 but thats because im stick the dealer wont be able to do anything. Im very sorry you feel this way about the car! If you install a CHIP then take your car in to tell them its running bad they will look at your car see the CHIP and laugh in your face so dont do a chip!! Just take it in and see what they do!