Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD a lie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Default AWD a lie?

So I backed the audi down the hill thru the back yard the other night to load up a whole avant load of **** to take away to the new house.

I had to go down thru some snow drifts and such. NO problem going backwards down the hill.

It is when I went to pull out I ran into my problem.

The wagon got stuck and proceeded to take the ice crusted snow and glaze it.

In my fight to get the A4 out of my back yard, I looked out the driver side window as I am turning my wheels around to try to dig into some ground, and I see my driver side fron wheel isn't turning AT ALL!

WTF, the back ones were both working, and the passenger side front one was, but the driver side front wheel had 0 power going to her? WTF is something wrong or is the awd not truely awd?

98A4Avant2.8 tip - Q

Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: AWD a lie?

i never thought to look into it... but the audi probably has a LSD... by the sound of it.
that... or your car's screwed.
i know it's variable AWD, but htat's front to rear, if the A4 does have a LSD... that explains it right there, there was no traction on hte drivers front.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

isnt the idea of an LSD is to make Limited slip? IE one spins half a turn until locking other?

Old 12-21-2005, 06:51 PM
4th Gear

unless it was locked in hte snow by chance?
like... did it look really really stuck?

Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

more than likely esp was locking down that tire.

and technically with out an lsd.

you only have two powered wheels.

one in rear one in front.

with lsd's you add one wheel powered per axel assuming you have a front lsd and rear lsd.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

the audi awd system uses a viscous lsd in the center, but the front and back diffs' are open diffs, which means once one wheel breaks traction, all the power is sent to that wheel, which is kinda stupid, but there is really no other logical way to do it.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

weld the diff.

checkmyvitals,

You've got it mixed up.

Open differentials will cause only one wheel to spin.

LSD essentially locks both wheels and will spin at the same time, but they don't have to spin at the same speed. Best all around differential.

A fully locked differential will have both wheels spinning at the same speed...best for straight line acceleration. On turns you would get some screeching/wheel spin because one wheel spins faster then the other around turns in LSD or open diff cars. This case it can't and you'll get some slipping on one of the wheels.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 PM
4th Gear

true enough, it's just the only explanation i can think of.
that the differential the drivers side was on wasn't putting down enough power to even spin the wheel.

lol, not necessarily right... just all i got on this situation[sm=tongue.gif]

Old 12-21-2005, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

My Type-R has LSD... Both wheels spin at all times. I don't believe Audis have LSD.

Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

the audi awd system uses a viscous lsd in the center, but the front and back diffs' are open diffs, which means once one wheel breaks traction, all the power is sent to that wheel, which is kinda stupid, but there is really no other logical way to do it.

No it has a torsen center diff

There are no locking diffs in our cars its done via the brakes