Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD a lie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: AWD a lie?

yea, wasent sure what kind of diff the center was... but front and back are open...

Old 12-21-2005, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Yes open diffs on the front and rear

I think its called EBD Electronic Brake Differential??

I beleive one of his wheels was spinning because he doesnt have ESP

EDIT: My bad its EDL

Old 12-21-2005, 10:22 PM

Audi's use a mechanical or helical center diff based on worm and pinion gears, not a viscous. It has a 2:1 bias ratio, meaning it's 50:50 power split with a 60:40 transfer in either direction. And it is a limited slip diff (LSD). the front and rear diffs are open diffs that rely on the brakes to limit spin(EDL, electronic differential lock). those of us with bad abs pumps no longer have EDL cause it uses the abs pump to regulate spinning. A vicsous center diff is based on clutch packs and viscous fluid. most of the other AWD cars use viscous diff. (subaru, mitsu). power transfer in either direction can be almost infinite. the more wheel spin, the tighter the differential locks up in a viscous unit. In a mech unit like the audis, it can only go what the gears are ratio'd for, so if the fronts are spinning but the reas have grip, the torsen can only send up to 60% power to the rear. a viscous could send 100% if it was setup that way. Stasis engineering sells an upgraded torsen center for the audi's with a 4:1 bias or 80:20 for like $500, it can send 80% of the power to the gripping wheels as opposed to the stock 60%.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: acvega

Audi's use a mechanical or helical center diff based on worm and pinion gears, not a viscous. It has a 2:1 bias ratio, meaning it's 50:50 power split with a 60:40 transfer in either direction. And it is a limited slip diff (LSD). the front and rear diffs are open diffs that rely on the brakes to limit spin(EDL, electronic differential lock). those of us with bad abs pumps no longer have EDL cause it uses the abs pump to regulate spinning. A vicsous center diff is based on clutch packs and viscous fluid. most of the other AWD cars use viscous diff. (subaru, mitsu). power transfer in either direction can be almost infinite. the more wheel spin, the tighter the differential locks up in a viscous unit. In a mech unit like the audis, it can only go what the gears are ratio'd for, so if the fronts are spinning but the reas have grip, the torsen can only send up to 60% power to the rear. a viscous could send 100% if it was setup that way. Stasis engineering sells an upgraded torsen center for the audi's with a 4:1 bias or 80:20 for like $500, it can send 80% of the power to the gripping wheels as opposed to the stock 60%.
...i researched.... he's right... for what i could tell until i stopped looking around.

if you didn't pull that off multiple sites... then kudos my man...

but can you explain this specific situation? it's definitely piqued my interest

Old 12-22-2005, 03:57 AM
1st Gear

man ..my audi quattro is sweet through the snow!!!!! not one problem..i was the only one going the speed limit

Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 AM
1st Gear

^^^^^ i second that. we had an unexpected snow storm (it was called a snowricaine) Go figure, and everyone was all paniking except for the rest of the audi quattro owners on the road and of course the jeeps. i wasnt gettin stuck even with some not so new tires..

Old 12-22-2005, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: CheckMyVitals

ORIGINAL: acvega

...i researched.... he's right... for what i could tell until i stopped looking around.

if you didn't pull that off multiple sites... then kudos my man...

but can you explain this specific situation? it's definitely piqued my interest
a similar situation happened to me oncewhen i was getting off a highway in the snow. i was at the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp and it was snow covered, well i went to pull out, and the car wasn't moving (this was before my abs pump died). tires were spinning all over the place, well at least one in the fron and one in the back. EDL is a weak system and a poor excuse for controling wheel spin. in really mucky situations or in icy conditions it is almost completely ineffective, at least in my experience with it. Heinzanova mst have had poor traction in the rear as well and the EDL system just wasn't effective in that situation. I didn't pull that off of multiple sites, just aquired knowledge since owning this car. audi's all wheel drive is functional but dated compared to many others. TORSEN is a bragging point for audi because they make great diffs for alot of great vehicles(military hummer's, s2000's, lot's of others that are big names. Having front and rear open diffs is what hurts it. heck the old all wheel drive DSM's (eclipses, talons, lasers) came with factory viscous rear LSD's, most newer suby's have rear lsd's, all brand new evo's, sti's have three LSD's. sorry, did alot of reading about all wheel drive systems when i got the audi and all the differences between them.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

on this specific occasion the front passenger side tire broke loose causing all the power to go to that wheel. Both rear tires were loose, so they were both spinning.

Im sure the quattro has its limits... going up a grass hill in a few inches of snow may not have been the best idea. A 4WD truck or SUV probably would have been more suited for that kind off application.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
4th Gear

Tell us more about your A4. Does it have traction control?

ESP does not function when the car is not moving.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

are you sure about ESP only working when you are moving?? I dont know about the Audi's but it does function on my benz when its not moving. I had to turn it off to get it up the driveway when snow was on the ground becuase it prevents wheel slip and I needed to wheels to spin free to get it up the driveway. (It didnt help that the benz is rear wheel drive and has sport tires on it haha)