Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M Short Shifter install and product review

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Default B&M Short Shifter install and product review

I just installed my B&M S.S. I love it. Its way better tha the stock one but 300x. Its smooth and has very quick smooth short shifts. The install was staright forward an dthey include excellant insturctions. The only problem i had was that any pre 99.5 will neeed the center console removed. I did it myslef and its just some screws and a few wires to disconnect. (i would like to thank brrman for all his help on doing this). ITs mostly takeing bolts out and replacing them. The biggest problem during the install was i stripped a bolt and had a hard time removing it. OInce the shifter is removed u just pop out a spring some rails and replace teh bushings and install teh spring with teh new shitfer. It replaces some of the stock pieces in there too. I had some parts left over including a large metall ball but i think tahts for use with a differnet shift pattern. I did check over the install and i did all the steps. I would rate the time at 1hr 30 mins for me. But i have a beginner and had trouble with installing one of teh springs and using some retaining pliers taht i needed to switch the direction it worked. If any oen is thinking about doing this u should its great. Only advice is to make sure u have all teh tools and teh time to do this all in one shot. The shifter is set at 34% reduction b/c i didnt want to have to do all the work to adjust it again.

Add:
Here are some pics of teh center console removed before i did the shifter. Sry didnt take any pics during it being done.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: B&M Short Shifter install and product review

Haha good work apg, i have the b&m also, great shifter.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 PM

bump

Old 07-26-2005, 11:49 PM
5th Gear

lol, wtf are you doing bumping this thread?

Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 AM

nobody was saying anything after everyone herad how i didnt finsih it so i wanted everyone to post stuff. Also i always wnated to bump something.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 AM

just one question why the hell did u take that much stuff off when all you have to do is remove the shifter plate? that looks like a lot of extra work to me. just my .02

Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear

in the last picture it looks like you don't have a right foot...[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 07-27-2005, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear

o yea and thanks this will be helpful to me in the future lol...........how do u drive without a right foot? That's some major heel-toe with the left foot! Or maybe you just use the stump....get back to me on that. Haha

Old 07-27-2005, 01:02 AM

thats only oen of my two legs and i had to remove everything b/c my car is before teh 99.5 and the shifter plate deosnt exist in my car. If u ahve it thats all u have to do.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:23 AM
3rd Gear

Nice work, short shifter does a lot for our cars. I still don't know what you mean when you say "shifter plate," I didn't have to take off the console for my SS. It was a pain in the *** to reach some screws, but still. This is dedication.

Quick Reply: B&M Short Shifter install and product review