Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Valve Question!? A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Bent Valve Question!? A4 1.8T

Hey Guys.... touching back on the subject of my earlier post... the broken timing belt...

Well this afternoon i removed all components and accessed the timing belt to find that a crap load of teeth had been chewed up on the belt.. I was trying to determine if the valves are actually bent without removing the head... now this is my logic of why the valves are still in good shape.. PLEASE post your comments good or bad.. i need to know if i'm right or wrong or maybe

By turning the camshaft, I inspected every lifter moving down then coming back up all 12 intake and 8 exhaust moved up and down with pressure... Can I safely assume that if the lifter has pressure to come back up to the cam that the valve is springing back up (because if the valve was bent there would be no pressure to push the lifter up and therefore the lifter would stay down)...

Please post any comments..
Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Bent Valve Question!? A4 1.8T

Well in a basic interference motor just turning the cam wont be good. if I took my timing belt off right now as my motor sits and turned the cam I am taking the chance of doing damage . The reason the timing belt is there is to keep the timing between the crank and cam so valves and pistons wont meet. So if the crank has a piston at tdc and you turn the cam then the valves will hit that piston and it wont be good. IMHO taking the head off is the ONLY way other then maybe a boroscope, but thats a distant 2nd. You have to take into account piston damage as well cause that will have a huge inpact as well. Thats my .02cents from my experiecne as a certified technician

Old 03-10-2006, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: liquidxit2

Well in a basic interference motor just turning the cam wont be good. if I took my timing belt off right now as my motor sits and turned the cam I am taking the chance of doing damage . The reason the timing belt is there is to keep the timing between the crank and cam so valves and pistons wont meet. So if the crank has a piston at tdc and you turn the cam then the valves will hit that piston and it wont be good. IMHO taking the head off is the ONLY way other then maybe a boroscope, but thats a distant 2nd. You have to take into account piston damage as well cause that will have a huge inpact as well. Thats my .02cents from my experiecne as a certified technician

you heard it here folks.....

Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 AM
5th Gear

Yea its better to be safe than sorry i mean if you take the head of the check it out all its gunna cost you is a head gasket if the valves are ok, its your best bet

Old 03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

Yea its better to be safe than sorry i mean if you take the head of the check it out all its gunna cost you is a head gasket if the valves are ok, its your best bet
Now I'm new to audis but in my motor head time isnt it highly suggested you replace the head studs/bolts due to the fact you torque them to yeild?

Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
6th Gear

Can't you also run a compression test to check for bent valves.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear

Can't you also run a compression test to check for bent valves.
Probably not a good idea if some valves "may" be bent. You could run a cylinder leakage test thou.
And yes the bolts should also be replaced and torqued. Which would require a special socket, torque wrench, and a big breaker bar to yeild them.
I can tell you ive never seen a timing belt break and not bend any valves on the 1.8

Old 03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Site Moderator

Off with it's head!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:34 PM

well the correct way is to fit a new belt and check the compression before taking the head off the valves might not have been touched by the pistons ( even though its an interference engine ) that doesn't mean its a guaranteed valve strike, a garage would do that first before committing to a head strip down