Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:59 AM
1st Gear
Default big problem....

So tonight i was driving home on the highway, and all of the sudden, i lose power... i would hit th gas and the car would sound like a go-kart / harley.... the check engine light started flashing... i pulled off at the next stationand put some gas in it b/c i was on E... thought maybe that caused it... but not the case.... so i was .5 miles from the house so i drove it home.... had no power at all under any kind of throttle... didnt hear any turbo spool... and i have no idea what it could be... any ideas? it is a 2000 A4 1.8tqm 99804miles

any help would be greatly appriciated

Old 12-03-2006, 02:05 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: big problem....

Sounds like you started missfiring for some reason.

Get the codes read, that should give you somewhere to start.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Check to make sure yor exhuast isn't cracked or loose. if it comes apart near the turbo you will lose back pressure and the turbo wont spool correctly

Old 12-03-2006, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear

yep my guess is that you have an exhaust leak either right after or right before the flex pipe.. Do your self a favor before you take it to get serviced anywhere, go out to your car and look for a leak in the pipe right after the down pipe around that braided looking thing that expands and flexes with the engine. If its not a exhaust leak, scan it for codes, no sense in trying to guess what it is, and spending money unnecessarily fixing things that arent broken...

Old 12-03-2006, 07:29 PM

When was the last time you checked/filled your oil? If you added too much oil to your car, the engine might be stuttering... too much oil in the engine. That happenned to me about 10 years ago. I overfilled the oil in my car, went driving on the highway, and the engine started stuttering while black smoke was coming from my tailpipe. So, I pulled over, had it towed to my house, and did an oil change. No problems after that.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

that happened on my 97 grand prix when the alternator died, possible answer, have any stereo equiptment or electronics?

Old 12-03-2006, 08:08 PM
4th Gear

Has your clutch felt weird lately?

Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

the clutch is fine, and i have a scheduled oil changed in about 500 miles... would an exhaust leak cause the car to shake really rough when at idle?

Old 12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

acetrebo Date 12/2/2006 11:05:49 PM
Sounds like you started missfiring for some reason.

Get the codes read, that should give you somewhere to start.

+1

Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
5th Gear

a flashing cel is usually caused by a misfire, which is caused by either a bad ICM, coil packs, or maybe spark plugs, or fuel injector issues. we can't really help you that much until you get the codes checked. you shouldn't drive the car with a flashing cel tho, since it can damage the cat. so if u have a buddy with a vag that would be best, or if you have an autozone real close by you could take it there. then post the codes here and we'll tell you what it is.

Quick Reply: big problem....