Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bit of trouble shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A bit of trouble shifting.

push cluthch once release the clutch while in N push the clutch again and shift.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM

ohh.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: spectrum

I don't understand why audi made shifting so dificult in the cold. I have the same problem 1st to second and almosst stopping to put it in 1st. I recently had transmission repaired and fluid changed with new clutch and still hard. it is anoying
It's not Audi. I've yet 2 own a car that wasn't harder to shift into first in the cold then the warm. It's science. Research the word viscosity and how oil's is affected by temperatures.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

I don't agree with you I have owned3 other brand of cars ford bmw chevy and now audi and audi is by far the hardest to shift once temps at 40 F or Below.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: pimptrooper3000

o btw... is it normal when ur driving at about 15-20mph sometimes even less (like 8-12mph) and its pretty much impossible to shift into 1st. why is that. i find it really annoying....but yea i get the hard shifting in the cold and the tuds so i guess its normal.
See the reference to "double-clutching", tho I think shifting into 1st at 20MPH is a bit much.

In general, synthetic trans fluid will reduce the stiff-shifting when cold.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:24 PM

I don't agree with you I have owned3 other brand of cars ford bmw chevy and now audi and audi is by far the hardest to shift once temps at 40 F or Below.
What fluid is in there now, do you even know?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

i trust that the repair shop used the recommennded fluid. other than that i wouldn't know but i will say that before the change from the dealer shifting was you know not like others

Old 12-14-2007, 04:47 PM

i trust that the repair shop used the recommennded fluid. other than that i wouldn't know but i will say that before the change from the dealer shifting was you know not like others
They use whats cheap,if they change it at all most of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
Do it yourself. Change the damn fluid cause i don't care what anyone says it's not lifetime. I change mine every 20k or so for all my cars. Never blew a tranny and ran my eagle Talon with almost twice the stock HP and the tranny always shifted mint. GM synchromesh FTW. It's not hard 2 do a fluid swap yourself.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 PM

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: pimptrooper3000

o btw... is it normal when ur driving at about 15-20mph sometimes even less (like 8-12mph) and its pretty much impossible to shift into 1st. why is that. i find it really annoying....but yea i get the hard shifting in the cold and the tuds so i guess its normal.
[/blockquote]

See the reference to "double-clutching", tho I think shifting into 1st at 20MPH is a bit much.

In general, synthetic trans fluid will reduce the stiff-shifting when cold.
i match the revs when i downshift (heel and toe) but the transmission would not go into first.. i would almost have to stop to get into 1st... annoying when rippin through a tight corner and need 1st acceleration...any suggestions

Old 01-05-2008, 01:55 AM

I feel your pain too, even in the summer I find it difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st without jamming syncrodes. Plus matching revs in 1.8t stock is hard due to lack of throttle response on low rpms. I used to thump into 2nd gear all the times but I would let off the clutch too fast and not let the revs fall enough. But easing off the clutch (not too much to slip but a little more than the other gears) solved the problem into 1-2nd.

Quick Reply: A bit of trouble shifting.