Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow through MAF... Relocate MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Default RE: Blow through MAF... Relocate MAF

ORIGINAL: ILoveT

It was a joke. VrooooooooPshhh.. Haha. Just wanted to gain more knowledge my friend.
ahh, well then fair enough. good on you for wanting to learn.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:00 AM
3rd Gear

this is an incredibly popular mod on DSM's.. its rather easy to do with a 3" GM maf from the ls1 motor,

and ya... all it does (unless your running 400+hp) is allow you to safely vent your bov. I'm all in for the idea, but most audi owners will tell you its ricey.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:37 AM
1st Gear

Also, would you have to recalibrate the ECU? I'm pretty sure the readings on the before and after sides of the turbo are not the same (sucked-in air vs compressed air).

Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

I thought MAF's functioned by electrically heating an element, and then measuring how much the air flowing past it cools it down? If so, how could you run the maf after the hot turbo unless.... you somehow put the ambient temp sensor after the turbo too so the computer could compensate for the warmer air... hmm. Still have the oil problem though. Seems like a tough project when you could just run the forge splitter or do an airbox mod and get the blowoff sound. Interesting question, though.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm make believe

I did the relocation on my Mitsu Lancer after turboing it and it worked well. Never had a problem with it. Would i do it with a vw/audi maf.....HELL NO. Those have enough problems. If you want to run a BOV, go to ecstuning and get either a forge004 (it comes in 4 colors) or a HKS ssqv and you wont have any issues vta. All the metered air is gained back by it being closed at idle.

For the person asking the benifit of running a bov: no ruturn back to the intake is needed. This makes it easier to move it closer to the TB or where ever you want it without feet of hose going back to the intake.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Site Moderator

I thought only corrosion and debris could foul a maf up. If heat has anything to do with it, then it woulbe from the extreme temps under the hood as opposed to IAT's.
Slapping on a cone filter to your MAF is like MAF suicide imo. Higher flow=more debris, and your IAT's become however hot the under the hood engine temps are.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Eh ehhm... http://audizine.com/forum/showthread...=1#post1816189

Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm make believe

Why not buy the right BOV like me and skip the retardation?

You know your dumb when you say this "Plus doesn't the ndbw maf have measure air temps?" ITS CALLED DRIVE BY CABLE, not non drive by wire....[sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

Why not buy the right BOV like me and skip the retardation?

You know your dumb when you say this "Plus doesn't the ndbw maf have measure air temps?" ITS CALLED DRIVE BY CABLE, not non drive by wire....[sm=chairshot.gif]
if you are calling mike dumb for refering to DBC as NDBW then you aren't as smart as i thought you were. they are one in the same. some people just call them different names. it's really no big deal..

but on topic.. the MAIN reason that most audi guys do/think/try/dream/want/etc.. this mod, is to remove the MAF from the intake side of the motor. thus making an intake setup for a Big Turbo easier to fabricate.. anyone with a full garrett turbo on either ATP's log mani or Full-Race's/034's tubi mani can atest to fitting a MAF in there is a bitch

Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Site Moderator

Huh??? Ive seen the term ndbw a lot...
http://www.revotechnik.com.au/ecu_pe...no_charts.html

Quick Reply: Blow through MAF... Relocate MAF