Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose Speakers -- Keep or Toss?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 03:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default Bose Speakers -- Keep or Toss?

Hi all,
I just got my greezee little hands on a 98' A4. The car came with the Bose sound system, however the driver-side rear deck speaker was blown. I went to the local audi dealer and they gave me a quote of $155 to replace the blown speaker. Now, I know it's a Bose system and all...but $155 for one speaker sounds a bit harsh.

Anyways...my question is..should I boney up the dow and get the Bose replacement or...does anyone have any good suggestions on a pair of rear deck speakers that would work well with the Bose system?

Heck, if anybody out there has a Bose Rear Deck Speaker they tore outta their A4 for aftermarket speakers, I'd be willing to take them off your hands!

Ok, I know this also asking a bit much but if someone could point me in the right direction on how to remove the rear deck to get at the speakers that would also be great. I read a couple tutorials on it and they weren't very good(slide plastic tab forward, remove bolts...what plastic thing? and where are the bolts? <--exp. ).

Thanks much!
Transverse

Old 08-07-2004, 04:35 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Bose Speakers -- Keep or Toss?

That's ridiculous for a single speaker replacement. If you get an aftermarket replacement, be careful of two things. Make sure that you check the resistance on the factory speaker and match it on the replacement. Most of your aftermarkets are 4 ohm speakers, but factory units often times will put in a 6 or an 8 ohm speaker just to make aftermarket replacements more difficult. If the factory speaker is some wierd ohm rated speaker, shoot me an email and I can tell you how to put together a few resistors and match the needed resistance level. Test the head unit with a good speaker just to make sure you didn't drop a channel instead of a speaker. I would replace them both while your there. As for getiting into the deck lid. I'm not much help there, I've got an Avant. But the deck lid itself probably pops off and uses some plastic clips to hold it down, but I'd bet the speaker can be removed from the trunk without even messing with the deck lid. Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here. There's a whole lot of Audi knowledge on this site, and check out the archives too.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

That’s a 2 ohm 6 ½ inch woffer back there. I haven’t found another manufacturer who makes one other than Bose, and only for Audi at $125 each. (I bought my 98 A4 with a blown woffer also). As far as the rear deck lid, lower the seat backs and it will pull off. Been a while since I did it and can’t think of all the details, there may be a few snaps you need to push up from the bottom before it will slide. But you do have to remove the deck lid to gain access to the speakers.
I haven’t found a suitable replacement for the Bose woffer, any one else know of one?

Old 08-07-2004, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, I don't know how techno savvy you are, but I think it would be much more worth your while to take that speaker out, find out the product number and find a new one somewhere else (maybe ebay since it's probably special to your model A4) and then just installing it yourself. If you do it right, you will probably be able to get it done for at least half of what the dealer quoted you for!

By the way, what is the product number? If you post it here we can pool our efforts and see what turns up!

Old 08-07-2004, 06:32 PM
4th Gear

If Michael is right , you can put resistors in parallel with the speakers to reduce resistance.
You must make sure the resistors have the right power handling capability.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

If Michael is right , you can put resistors in parallel with the speakers to reduce resistance.
You must make sure the resistors have the right power handling capability.
Yeah, you're right. It's just a matter of physics and understanding the flow of current. I don't think the question is if getting the right resistance is possible, cuz it is, I think the original question is more geared toward finding a cost effective and comparable replacement. That's how I understood the question.

Old 08-07-2004, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

I wasn't clear if he was talking about the sub woofer or the speaker. In any case, if it's a 2 ohm that's easy enough. You can replace it with any 4 ohm, 6 1/2" speaker and it won't hurt anything. Your head unit will be fine with a speaker with more resistance just not less. You may have to adjust your fader with a bit more power to the back, but it won't hurt anything. It's a lot cheaper than buying the Bose replacement. If it's the sub woofer that's blown, let me know. I'm going to try and find out how that is set up on the Bose systems, I've got a Bose system in my 2000 Avant.

Old 08-08-2004, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

Holy Crap!
Thanks for the feedback people!

I took a gander at the speaker model numbers today but I'm sorry to say I have no idea what all this jibba-jabba means...so I just copied everything I saw:

----------------------------------
KUNDEN -NR: 8D5 035 401 C
R & S -NR: 226 007
BEZEICHNG: B5 HECK
3078. K1
----------------------------------

I believe this is just a woofer, and I think the actual size is 6 3/4 inches (or at least that's what crutchfield.com says). Its located up on the rear deck where the center brake light is located ( just to clear up some confusion ).

As for my technical skills..I can do anything with good directions[8D]

If someone has one of these speakers or happens to run across them on ebay or something like that I would be hugely indebted if you'd drop me an email -- bathisar@hotmail.com

Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 AM
2nd Gear

Ahh, ok, so we are talking about the woof, not the full range speaker. Well, that changes things a little, but not a whole lot. Can you get it out from the trunk?

Old 08-08-2004, 06:42 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Doose

Ahh, ok, so we are talking about the woof, not the full range speaker. Well, that changes things a little, but not a whole lot. Can you get it out from the trunk?
Nope...the speakers are screwed in from the top of the rear deck, but under the deck cover..so the only way I see to remove the speaker is to take off the deck cover (which I'm a bit confused on how to do). I'm gonna take another stab at taking the rear deck cover off tomorrow. I'll take pics and document it if I have any luck, it seems like we could all use a good tutorial on this[8D]

I'll be posting my results on the rear deck asap.

Quick Reply: Bose Speakers -- Keep or Toss?