Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake dust!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Default brake dust!

i just recently bought my first audi and ive been driving it like a mad man now im not sure if its my irratice drivin or i just have crappy brakes info please!

Old 08-11-2004, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: brake dust!

Congrats on the new addition. If you're driving "like a mad man" and it's a new car, you may want to break it in a bit before going crazy. There was a method I saw posted before and seemed to work well for me and others. If it's not new... more power to ya.

As for the brake dust - yeah, you'll get alot more on the rear rims than the front. Waxing them when you wax the car will minimize it a bit, otherwise if you're **** (like me) and they get dirtier faster than the car - wait for them to cool down and wipe the dust off before the next fun-filled ride. I always wash them when I was the car... it's a given.

You could always upgrade your pads as well to minimize dust. Do a search and see whatcha get.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear

Actually, I get far more dust on the front than the rear. Much more braking capacity in the front, so more dust. As for keeping the wheels clean, the best solution I've seen are the plasctic shields that go in between the brake rotor and the wheel. They are plastic and pretty cheap, but they work. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums! Congrats on the new ride.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 AM
1st Gear

same here, more on the front than the back...

Old 08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Doose

Actually, I get dar more dust on the front than the rear. Much more braking capacity in the front, so more dust. As for keeping the wheels clean, the best solution I've seen are the plasctic shields that go in between the brake rotor and the wheel. They are plastic and pretty cheap, but they work. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums! Congrats on the new ride.
Using those plastic shields will block airflow to the rotors. That would also include blocking airflow to allow any gas buildup from pad-to-rotor contact to escape. I would advise not using them to avoid overheating the brakes when driving agressively.

Believe it or not, a lot of the aftermarket pads that claim a reduction in brake dust is actually producing the same amount. What makes it different is that the brake pad material is a different compound than OEM pads so that when braking, any dust produced will match closer to the color of the wheel and give the illusion of less dust.

For those that do produce less dust usually trade off stopping distance as they won't bite as much. I've had a local tuner perform their own tests to prove that Mintex Red Box pads will produce less dust, but will increase the braking distance compared to OEM pads. They're fine for non-agressive driving and for those who mod their cars for show.

I like the Hawk HPS pads. They have more bite than OEM pads, produce nearly the same amount of dust, but the dust is lighter in color making the wheel look cleaner longer.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

I'm the same as Doose and Shon....much more dust in the front. I hear that the Hawk pads are pretty good about that. Next time I change 'em, that's what I'm gonna try.

Old 08-12-2004, 05:55 PM
4th Gear

I think fatrings has a point, Ive heard that before and i can see why too, the plastic shields are good for reducing dust, but they would heat up faster and not cool down as fast aswell. What do the rest you guys think?

Old 08-12-2004, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

I also get more dust on the front wheels. They , the front brakes, do most of the work.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:14 PM
3rd Gear

Mintex Red Box for less dust.

Yes... of course the fronts do more work. More work = more dust.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, they do block some air, but with cross drilled or slotted rotors I don't think it's a problem. At least it hasn't been for me.

Quick Reply: brake dust!