Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a second hand A4 TDi

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 AM
1st Gear
Default Buying a second hand A4 TDi

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to this forum so this query may have been covered previously. I currently own a lovely 3dr A3 which I love to bits but nature calls and a little mini me is due in a few months. I'm looking at the A4 for the extra space. I love the look of the estate model and it obviously offers alot of practicality compared to a 3dr A3. My budget is tight so I'm searching for a 2002-2003 diesel manual version. These tend to have quite a bit of mileage clocked up and my query is this... Other than making sure its been regularly serviced and the timing belt has been changed what should I be looking out for in a high mileage a4 tdi? We're talking 100k + miles !
What is likely to go first at this stage? Clutch etc. ? How many miles trouble free miles would you expect to get from this diesel model?

Any advice from current owners would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your help !

Old 09-30-2006, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Buying a second hand A4 TDi

you wont get much help here as we dont get the diesel here the in States but i had a 03 jetta TDI and loved it!!!! if audi brings a diesel here, mine is gone the next day! great mileage and very reliable,,, just make sure the timing belt was done on schedule, they usually do the water pump and rollers too... check out TDICLUB.COM... a lot of pepople there have 300k miles or more without troubles

Old 10-01-2006, 06:31 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the link. I guess its only a matter of time before a diesel version appears on the market for u guys over there given the inevitable fuel crisis.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

Hello Nickmerr

I have an Avant TDi (1998) with 208,000 miles on the clock. It drives brilliantly and every switch works, the doors clunk like you'd expect and I get 50mpg on a long run and 43 on short runs.

My last MOT (September) just needed a bulb, a suspension arm and the rear wheel bearings tightening.

My advice would be not to be scared of mileage.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:26 PM

the car is bullet proof although I personally don't like the diesels and would never buy one ( that's because I don't like diesels ) personal choice though

Old 10-01-2006, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear

Most americans are scared of diesels because of GM's pitiful attempt at producing them in the 70's... they were loud, smokey and unreliable... when i had my VW it ran nearly as quite as a gas (u couldnt tell from the inside at all) never smoked and the glowplugs took 3-5 seconds in 0 degree weather... not like the old ones... plus it got great mileage.... but everytime i told someone it was a diesel or that i used to have one .. they would ask why in the world would u buy a diesel they are loud, smokey and unreliable... but it was always funny when people would try to stop me from putting diesel in it

50-60% of new cars sold in europe are diesel

<1% in the united states

WTF????

Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM

I have a 1996 A4 1.9 TDi (110) Automatic saloon, which I have been very pleased with. I've had the car from new and clocked up 121K miles...just had new timing belt fitted (although the previous belt showed very little signs of wear and still measured 25mm width). With an auto you don't have to worry about clutches!
Overall mpg is 44-50 and the engine uses negligible lube oil.
Everything works on the car, no rattles, no rust.
There were, however, some expensive front suspension repairs about 6 yrs ago but I managed to get Audi to cover 50% of the cost.
Other problems: front wheel bearing replaced, two auxiliary drivebelts snapped (probably caused by seized tensioners), track rods replaced. I suppose usual "wear & tear" stuff.
Still running with original battery and exhaust.

Another interesting fact: the car is capable of running on 100% biodiesel - only problem for me is that I've never found anyone selling the stuff locally. Later model Audis (including the very latest models) do not seem to have this capability.

I would recommend you look for a 1 or 2 previous owner car and with full Audi service history.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

but american biodiesel is made from soybeans and contains little lubricity (therefore needs some dino fuel in it B85 is good)... biodiesel in europe is made from a rapeseed or something if i remember correctly and is more like dino fuel in its lubricity characteristics and can be run at 100%