Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft position sensor and more.......

Old 09-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Default Camshaft position sensor and more.......

Okay so I have a 2002 Audi A4 03.0 Quattro, The timimg belt job was done about 1000 miles ago, I now have 63,000 miles on this car. I noticed the CEL light was on and the car was having some idle issue, when in park the idle needle was jumping erraticly and it sounded as if someone was revving the gas. I took it in to the mechanic shop that did my T-belt job and had him scan it. This was after I had did a scan of my own and came up with the code P0025. He put it on his computer and said it was the camshaft position sensor. He replaced one of te sensors and told me to drive it for a while and let him know if that fixed it. He thought he might have to replace the other sensor too. I drove my car for less than 3 miles and the CEL light came back on. The idle problem was no longer occurring but it was still running rough. There is a shaking in the front end when I reach speeds of 60 or higher. I take my car back to the shop and they replace the other camshaft position sensor. I get my car back, and drive it for about 10 miles before the CEL light is back on, this time it flashes a few times first then stays on. I take my car back to the shop and they tell me it is misfiring and the spark plugs need to be replaced. I am not mechanicly inclined but I thought spark plugs would last longer, but I let them replace my spark plugs. Now after about 5 miles my CEL light is back on again. I am so frustrated at this point because I feel like the shop doesn't really know what is going on either. This is getting too expensive, so I am wondering if anyoe has some advice for me. I am planning on scanning it myself again on Monday, before calling the shop.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Camshaft position sensor and more.......

P0025 is bank 2 exhaust right rear ( that's the passenger side in the US ), if the car runs and he just changed the timing belt and fitted a new sensor my guess is he hasn't set the cams up correct ( my auto data says cam timing as the first thing ) have him check the timing is correct and don't let him change any more sensors because there is nothing wrong with them as they have their own trouble code and your showing only 1,

cam timing is out that's my guess

Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Ok I have now had time to run a scan on my car. I am now getting the following codes: P0300 , P0304, P0305, P0306, and P024. P024 was the code that I was getting before I had my T-belt done. The other codes are misfiring codes. I need to call the mechanic shop today sometime but I am not sure what to tell them to look for. Any new suggestions?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM

im still going for valve timing not set right which would set a misfire situation because its not set right,
the data picture should explain what P0024 means and its cause both codes are related apart from the random misfire which I attribute to the timing being out ( my opinion only of course ) because I personally cant check it out

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/ED6CAECBF2754F618AF10E7A417B1080.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion. It is much appreciated. I just called the mechanic and he said that they had gotten the P0024 code also. He wants me to bring in my car and leave it with him for a few days. Do you think this could have something to do with an improper T-belt job if it is a timing issue? Does the engine have to be broke down again to investigate this? I have paid this shop so much money as of today's date and I am worried about how much more this is going to cost me.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

+1 for improper timing

If the shop didn't do it right the first time why bring it back? They should gaurantee their work, so I would demand they fix it before you keep paying them for a job they didn't do correctly...

Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM

timing positions on the cams isn't hard to check but if they didn't use the proper tools that's what happens and to leave it there for a few days has to be a J/K 1.5 hrs tops and if the system wasn't set up right first time its there fault so no cost to you.

if they are a good garage and know what they are doing it takes a few minuets to test the cam sensors and the timing for that matter ( watch they are not trying to fleece you and get advice or a tech to go with you )

a few days you have to laugh at that one

edit: a few days

Old 10-01-2007, 05:01 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: sweetsummer
Do you think this could have something to do with an improper T-belt job if it is a timing issue? Does the engine have to be broke down again to investigate this?
Yes, and Yes.

Tell them the timing is off because they didnt line up the cams and crank. That is why its misfiring.

This was their mistake. They should check this and fix it, at no charge to you, since they screwed up the job to begin with.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:17 PM

It has been a while and I still do not my car. Apparently they did not adjust or update the computer after the T-belt job. So he tried that first. The fault code was still coming up and showing a misfire. Just yesterday they finally tore it down to see if the timing had jump. He said the timing is on perfectly but that it is still registering off timing by 1 on one side and they can not figure out why. He is now saying that a possibilty is that the bolts that had come loose originally screwed up the hydrolic tensioner. I thought all the tensioners were replaced when a T-belt job is done. This car is becoming a big hassle or the shop doesn't know what they are doing. I am so disgusted with the way things are going with my car. I have only actually had it in my possession for about a total of 45 days since I bought it back in March..........sigh. Can anyone give me some advice on the Hydrolic tensioner?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
4th Gear

I retracted my advice, after i saw you are a 3.0.

Likely, the cams were not kept in place when the did it and the timing is off. There is a special tool to keep them from moving.

I am not sure on your year how to make sure they are aligned properly. There has got to be some markings so they can be lined back up, but I dont know the 3.0.

Maybe some of the 3.0 owners or techs can give some insight here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camshaft position sensor and more.......