Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR IS BROKEN

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear
Default CAR IS BROKEN

hey i went to start my 98 2.8 Q yesterday and started to drive away and somehting was totally wrong. it felt like the transmission was slipping and if i gave it any gas it would kinda choke. also, the check engine light flashed on and now is still on. so i brought it to the dealership and asked them to check it out, and they said it would be 90$s, for an hours worth of work, which i am fine with paying if they actually work on the car for an hour. but since the check engine light came on cant they run a VAG program on it to see what the issue is. Basically what i am asking is if that is the case, if they did just run it threw the computer, how long does that take? an hour? thanks

Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: CAR IS BROKEN

Definitely doesn't take an hour. You can get Autozone to scan it for free, or you can probably find an independent garage to do it for free also.

But with the CEL flashing you shouldn't probably be driving it to Autozone. Call up an indy or two, see what they charge for labor, see what they charge for VAG-COM analysis, and get it towed there.

Can you give us any more details? We might be able to clue you in too.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear

alright i will try and describe it but its tough unless you have seen it before but here goes nothing. It felt like if you almost stall when you dip real low in rpms. Like that jerking back and forth so i just took it really easy and accelled like a grandma, and when i got around 2800 rpms it went away but i decided to drive it to the dealer instead of tow it b/c the dealer is 2 miles down the road. but if you hav any clue you can give me some sugestions. and how long ABOUT does it take to run the VAG-COM on it?

Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Site Moderator

VAG-COM locator: http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl

There's 2 people in your town that have it and are willing to help.