Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR SHAKES/JOLTS WHILE IDLE..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 03:12 PM
1st Gear
Default CAR SHAKES/JOLTS WHILE IDLE..HELP

Hey all,

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with my problem that I am having in my 1999 AUDI 2.8 QUATTRO. It has 147 500 Kms. I have recently like 3 months ago changed the Timing belt and water pump at the AUDI dealership.

So, About a month or so ago I got a OIL CHANGE message and soon later got a SERVICE INSP MESSAGE, so it was time for a oil change, I got that done and then just removed the SERVICE INSP MESSAGE along with the OIL CHANGE message, because not even a month before I went to AUDI, so they would have told me if my car needed service. I read on the forums that that message appears because it is internally built and when time comes (at a certain number of KMS or MILES the messsage appears).

Anyway, I went to a Mister Lube got a Synthetic oil change with a VW (they said) oil filter, which they said are intended for these makes. They told me my air filters were dirty, they showed me but they didnt look too dirty, so i decided not to change them.

After all this, now recently my car JOLTS or SHAKES once BIG though, like you can feel it when it is IDLE.

My car IDLES at just between 500 and 750 RPM, it is EXACTLY between those two marks. Is it supposed to IDLE at that level, even though AUDI changed the timing belt and water pump? ( THATS THE FIRST QUESTION)

When I drive and after i while i come to a red light, every so often i will get a SHAKE or a JOLT throughout the car. I noticed that I tend to get them on inclines or declines or if I have been driving on the highway a long time. NO indications or anything comes on, just wondering what it could be and what should i do? ( SECOND QUESTION)

Also does anyone know where in CANADA, TORONTO, except for AUDI dealerships, I can get the HYDRALIC FUILD FOR THE STEERING and what type of ANTIFREEZE SHOULD I BUY AND USE ( THIRD QUESTIONS )

Thanks guys and I will be waiting for your responses.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:28 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: CAR SHAKES/JOLTS WHILE IDLE..HELP

Your stalling problem could be a dirty Idle Air control Valve, dying fuel pump, fuel filter. You may also need to replace the vacuum lines.

Only use G12 Antifreeze

Only use Pentosin CHF 11S power steering fluid

I don't know of any places in Canada, but you can buy it from the states and have it shipped. ecstuning.com sells it.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

I dont completely stall. The RPM's drops to 250 and then like instantly it comes back up and stays between 500 and 750, during that drop i feel the JOLT/SHAKE in the car.

A couple of times the RPM was jumping from 750 to 250 and back again and I could feel the JOLTS/SHAKES continously for about 15- 20 seconds. But that only happend a couple of times and it was when I was in a small incline and reversing the car. Another time when on a Incline and going forward.

So, how can I check if it is the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE, FUEL PUMP OR FUEL FILTER..Go to AUDI? (FIRST QUESTION) I dont know any good trusted AUDI mechanics in the TORONTO, GTA, CANADA area, does anyone (SECOND QUESTION)

QUESTION: WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CHECK THE FUILD LEVELS (antifreeze, brake fuild, hydralic fuilld etc.) IN YOUR AUDI? (THIRD QUESTION) HOW CAN I CHECK MY TRANSMISSION FUILD LEVEL? (4th QUESTION)

Thanks Jestnomen for replying...guys could really use the help again on these and previous questions..i guess i should go to ecstuning.com and order those products

Old 11-16-2004, 03:51 PM
6th Gear

You can't really check your tanny fluid, it is a sealed unit. There is a fill hole near the top that you are suppose to fill it till it runs out the hole. Best left to a mechanic if you arent mechanically inclined.

Actually i'm not sure if the 99 V6 has a IAC valve, further research says idle control is contained inside the throttle body. You may want to clean the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner.

There really isnt any way to check the other things, all you can do is start replacing things untill the problem is fixed.

Old 11-16-2004, 04:19 PM

by the time you buy the fluids from a place in the ststes you are going to end up paying a lot more in duties & shipping its only $33.00 a liter for the poer steering fluid and that litre should last you quite a while same for the coolant

Old 11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear

For those fluids... i highly doubt Canadian Tire or Parts Source doesn't carry em. It's the first place I always look.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:05 PM
6th Gear

The fluids arent found in any non specialized stores. I have never seen G12 or mineral steering fluid.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
4th Gear

www.audifans.com
click on mechanics

Old 11-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Site Moderator

ok - to me this is a dying ignition amplifier ($250) aka 'ignition control module'.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:20 PM
6th Gear

woulnt a CEL come up?

Quick Reply: CAR SHAKES/JOLTS WHILE IDLE..HELP