Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL on CEL off, what in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 01:32 AM
1st Gear
Default CEL on CEL off, what in the world?

So I got into my car today after not driving it for 3 days. It has been cold then warm (I live in UT) and cold again. When I got into my car and started it, my baby just spuddered and died. I started it again (did not leave lights on or anything) and I got her started but she was idling rough for like 5 minutes and the CEL was flashing on and off for like 2 minutes. I I was pretty freaked out and just sat there with the ignition off, but the key in the on position. I did need to go somewhere and the car had zero power (the car is bone stock) and my CEL was on. I went on my errand and came back (was like 10 minutes away, waited in a building for 10 minutes). On the way back the CEL light was not on though the car left a bit sluggish.

A little later (went to school for like 2 hours) I got in and she drove like nothing was wrong and there was no CEL. Now I am in need of an oil change as my service oil light just came on and I am running M1 Synethic. I will be changing the oil this weekend, but up until today, I have had no problems. I try to keep up on my matiaence and do not abuse my car. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Old 02-15-2005, 01:34 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: CEL on CEL off, what in the world?

Sounds like bad coilpacks. And for future referance, DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR ON A FLASHING CEL. You need to get the car scanned for the fault code(s).

Old 02-15-2005, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

I did not know that the CEL flashes up until today. I did not do anything while it was flashing but stared in horror. Why would it flash, then stay on then turn off? Do you know where I can get 4 more coil packs if that is the problem and roughly what will that set me back?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:46 AM
6th Gear

Well I am just guessing that that is the problem. You can take your car to autozone and get it scanned for fault codes for free. I don't know about the price.

There is also the option of using the vag locator to have someone help ya out.
http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl

Old 02-15-2005, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

DON'T buy the coils packs until you know what the problem is!! I almost did and found out that wasn't the problem. Mine was the "Ignition control module". Did you go to Autozone yet?

When the CEL is flashing, it means you are in danger of burning your catalytic converter. If you HAVE to drive use light throttle if it is flashing.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Well, since that morning, I have had no problems, starts like a champ and drives like there is no other cars on the road and most importantly, NO FLASHING CEL and the CEL is not on.

What I did get was a nice crack in my windshield. By the end of my 2 hour class, my windshield had a crack that extended across the entire width of the windshield. Oh well. I will still get a scan of my car today to see what error codes come up.

Thanks for all of your input.