Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic pads???? Good??? Bad???

Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Ceramic pads???? Good??? Bad???

Are the OEM brake pads that come on the Audi A4 (2002) ceramic? If not, does anyone have suggestions on whether to use them or not?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Ceramic pads???? Good??? Bad???

Most definitely semi-metallic or organic material. It releases tons of brake dust...just not that impressive to see a clean car (after a car wash), but then days later, the wheels get dirty faster than the rest of the car. Go with ceramics if you can. When mine goes, I'm looking to get some Wagner ThermoQuiets (ceramics) and turning the rotors for some fresh brakes.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Ya i upgraded to some really nice and really cheap ceramic pads andbrembo discs and it cut the dust accumulation by half. Your probably not going to find ceramics stockon anything less than probably a porshe

Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
2nd Gear

like everything else ceramics are neither good nor bad, just different pros and cons

i upgraded to hawk ceramics all the way around with crossdrilled slotted rotors front and rear and bigger 3.0 rotrs in the front and i believe my braking capabilities went down from stock.. ceramics are spongy and have little intial bite but work much better once they are warmed up...

however, the pro is i can go two weeks without washing and even the rears have only a light grey coating almost the rim color...

i put on stainless lines and motul 5.1 fluid and think that helped the most...

i personally want to try the bobcats or hawk hps to see the difference in dust/performance

Old 11-05-2007, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

Ceramic pads are better than stock. The downside is they MIGHT squeal when hot. I see that as an acceptable trade off for better braking and less dust. Ceramic pads are only a part of the equation. Stainless steel lines, quality rotors, and upgraded brake fluid will really improve braking.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

i upgraded to hawk ceramics all the way around with crossdrilled slotted rotors front and rear and bigger 3.0 rotrs in the front and i believe my braking capabilities went down from stock.. ceramics are spongy and have little intial bite but work much better once they are warmed up...
Your braking went down because you removed a sh!tload of the rotor with your "cool" slotted AND crossed drilled rotors. When your left with about 80-85% of the rotor for the pad to make contact with, your most deffinatly going to have worse stopping power. Plain and slotted are about all you should use for street use.

As for the spongy feeling, thats all brake lines, not pads.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Ceramic pads stop better and leave minimal dust. I love them. I found a really good supplier for them http://www.philsinc.com They have the complete line of Centricpads. They cover all of the Audi applications. I just got some for my S4.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

I have crossdrilled/slottors rotors with better braking. The friction surface loss is so minute its irrelevant.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm make believe

15-20% is a pretty good amount of surface space removed. You cant stop as fast if your pad doesnt make contact with the rotor. A 2 peice plain rotor is ideal for street use.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
2nd Gear

Well, i actually have a very good answer to that cincy,,,, i got bigger rotors to make up for my loss of surface area

also if it hurts performance so bad, why do benz,porshce,lotus and other high performance cars all come with slotted or cross drilled rotors? i saw many a porsche at the track with cross drilled rotors... no cracking or fading...

i have noticed they dont fade anymore....

many people who have hawk ceramics have companied about spongy feeling.. nature of the pad..... if u not dusting, u not stopping!

but next time it will either be alcons or stoptech slotted only

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramic pads???? Good??? Bad???