Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking sound from front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Clunking sound from front wheels

Hi I'm new to this forum and have recently purchased a 2003 A4 1.8T quattro manual.

My question is this(and I have searched the newbie section for answers, but to no avail): When I start my car and back out of the garage and then put into first and start to drive away there is s slight clunking soud that sounds like it is coming from the front wheels. This only happens after I start the car. I've tried this while the car is running (reversing and then moving forward) and there is no clunking sound. I'm not sure what this is. Also I can feel it very slightly in the accelerator at the same time as the clunking sound....

Any thoughts?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Clunking sound from front wheels

Is this the quattro engaging....I'm sorry if that sounds stupid but I'm new to this All Wheel Drive thing

Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quattro is always engaged.

So it only happens when you first start the car after sitting, but not after the car has been on for a few minutes?
Is it manual tranny? Are you going in reverse and then shifting to first before coming to a complete stop?

I am really not sure. My first guess would be possibly motor or tranny mount. Do you get any vibrations throughout the car or in the shifter?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 AM

What's up guys. I just bought a 04 A4 3.0 and hear the same noise and it's just funny that somebody else brought it up because I was just thinking about it. Could it be something with the e-brake?By the way,thanks guys, learned alot so far from the forum.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 AM
3rd Gear

its either your transmission or your motor mount. I would think if its your motor mount it would be consistent tho and not just when you start the car. It definately sounds like a tranny problem. Do you have any problems shifting gears? Doesnt sound too good to me..

Old 05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

from what I've learned so far and I have the same issue is that it's the abs self test it happens everytime you start your car go into first gear and accelerate and it makes a slight clunk that's what my dealer and mechanic have told me so far if I find out anything else I will keep you updated

Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

bb_doogs is right, the ABS does a self test the first time you reach a certain forward speed after starting up the car. This test causes a small clunk, and is perfectly normal. Every car I've owned that has ABS (including non-Audis) has done something similar.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

I'm glad someone else brought this up. My '06 3.2QM does exactly the same thing. I was worried about it untilthe dealer gave me a'07 2.0TQ automatic for loaner...same deal. Thanks bb_doogs, it's good to know what's actually causing that.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

Man maybe I need to turn my radio down every once in awhile. I haven't noticed any clunk in my car. I figured when you said clunk you meant CLUNK like a motor mount.

You should always drive your car with the radio at least on low. When you have it off, you will hear a million little noises and start suspecting something is wrong. When something is actually wrong, you will feel it or hear it over the radio. Driving the car with no radio will drive you crazy thinking there is something starting to go wrong everytime you hear a little noise, hehe.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Ha! Sounds familiar...but in this case you can actually feelthe 'clunk' in the accelerator.

Quick Reply: Clunking sound from front wheels