Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch engagment problem - rode clutch higher revs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear
Default clutch engagment problem - rode clutch higher revs

Hi,

got Audi A4 B5 1.8Tq
was in car with my bro and wanted to show off a bit, so reved car bit more than normal, and also riding clutch, (not proud of it,but not that hard when pedal engages at very end) I don' think I reved it very long time, but when took off basically the car barely moved much, like the clutch was baerly engaging, a bit scary when cars could be coming up behind. Any ideas?? doesn't seem issues in more normal driving.

please don't scare me saying clutch is rooted unlessfairly sure on its way out, I mean just cos a bit hot clutch doesn't mean should barely let the car take off, maybe hydraulic problem?

Old 04-28-2007, 03:33 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: clutch engagment problem - rode clutch higher revs

More info;

the car is fine now as long as don't do the 'rev the car abit and maybe ride clutch when want to take off from standing start thing'

On the2nd occasion it occured;I recently reved the car, maybe rode clutch a littleandhad the same thing occur to a lesser extent, the car felt bogged down when driving off then it seemed to go away and soon the car started driving normal again whilst in the same gear.

When I say 'bogged down' it wasn't because I hard launched and didn't have enough torque-like what might typically happen when people take off hard in awd car, it seems more like the clutch just gets upset with a bit of reving take off & maybe with clutch riding on take off

Old 04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
4th Gear

Try putting the car in 5th gear and trying to move form a stand still. If the car trys to die right away your clutch is fine. If it starts slipping a little and doesn't die right away then your clutch is on it's way out most likly.

Josh

Old 04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
4th Gear

What are you reving to? If you are trying to launch your car too little cause the car to fall on its face. If you are dropping the clutch it will also fall on its face.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:35 PM

The standard clutch will slip if you drop the clutch at too much of a high rev. It will bog and move like a slug for a couple of seconds if you drop the clutch at too much of a low rev. Got to practice on this cars to get it perfect but iwould not recommend you to launch al the time.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Site Moderator

If your running the stock audi clutch its self adjusting so if you slip the hell out of it for a long time you can wear the damn thing out really quick. But if you drive it normally for a while and didn't damage it, it should adjust back and grip just fine. If it still slips after it had adjusted itself you sustained too much damage on the clutch disc and you probably burned the flywheel.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 PM
4th Gear

I'm sorry to say it man, but you burnt/killed your clutch. If its slipping so bad that you have to over rev in order to get into traffic or get it rolling that means its dead. You need to buy another clutch and have it installed.. its gone. And its unsafe to drive like that, I'd look into a stage 2 clutch if your looking to push it harder than its meant to be pushed.

Its definitly gone.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Hi

thanks for thehelp, I'll try explain better, the clutch seemsfineafter itlast slippedifdriven 'normally' but I believeif you rev it and/orrideclutch too much on take off, it canseem like clutch is majorlynot engaging properlyfor like maybe 5 seconds(rough est)then seems to eventually engage normally again - still in 1st gear.

It's not because I dropped clutch too quick withnot enoughrevs (too little power), andI don't think I wastoo aggressive with revsthat I'd majorly fry the clutch. I don'ttake offvery hard cos I'd be too scared to break something expensive.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the moral, as always, is......DON'T RIDE YOUR CLUTCH. sorry. is that obvious???? I thought it was. if you're stepping on your gas pedal hard, with your foot all the way off of your clutch, and it slips, you do/will very soon need a new clutch. your clutch shouldn't slip when it is engaged AT ALL. if it is, something is wrong.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

You probably glazed the clutch, which can make it slip more than usual for a short while until the glazed material wears off, then it should return to normal. But if it slips with your foot completely off it (test by flooring it in 5th gear, FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH and see if it revs up or just bogs), you need a new clutch.

Quick Reply: clutch engagment problem - rode clutch higher revs