Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Clutch/Transmission Issue

I have a 01 A4 Quattro 5spd with about 58k miles on it. About a month ago I noticed a fairly loud knocking/rattling sound coming from the front end whenenver I released the clutch. After about a week it got a little louder and I could actually feel some vibration in the clutch along with hearing the sound. I know that bad throw-out bearings can cause this kind of "growling" sound. Took it to my mechanic, he confirmed the throw-out bearing but also said that there had been some damage to transmission. I had him replace the clutch and do transmission work and I picked the car up last night. It seemed fine at first, but the sound is still there, just a little softer now. I figure I might drop it off again tomorrow morning and have them check it again. But, I'm kind of at a loss here. I know noises are hard to diagnose (especially on these forums) but any thoughts on what might be the culprit since I basically have a new clutch and tranny? Flywheel? Pilot bearing? Thanks.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Default RE: Clutch/Transmission Issue

did you have all 3 parts to the clutch replaced?? does the noise go away when the clutch is depressed?? could it be the starter motor catching the fly wheel Ive had that a couple of times and replaced the stater motor

Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

I've got to double check with the garage to see what exactly they replaced in regards to the clutch. The noise does go away when the clutch is pressed in and it's not noticable at all when the car is in nuetral. It's most noticeable when the I'm releasing the clutch, as the car is taking off and after driving it this morning I notice that the sound really is more like a clunking noise now, with a pretty steady vibration. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Went back to the garage, took it for a road test with the tech. Of course, the sound wasn't really noticeable. He seemed to think that everything sounded normal and that a bit of vibration was to be expected. He confirmed they changed out the throwout and pilot bearings, clutch disc, and pressure plate and that the flywheel was still in good condition. So, maybe it's just a sound I have to live with.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:36 PM

You definitely shouldn't have to live with it since the noise wasn't audible before you payed them to replace the clutch. Now that it is you should have them fix it since they obviously screwed something up in the process.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:31 PM

i'd have them check out the tranny or engine mounts, if you hear the noise when letting the clutch out theres a chance you've got a mount out and it's causing something to shake making noise

Old 12-05-2006, 04:01 PM

i second the mounts
ORIGINAL: GeilKyle2

i'd have them check out the tranny or engine mounts, if you hear the noise when letting the clutch out theres a chance you've got a mount out and it's causing something to shake making noise

Old 12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, good idea.