Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compare your A4 to....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Compare your A4 to....

Having not had a car for ten years, driving only trucks, and with an enthusiasm for European cars, I have decided to buy another car. I have narrowed down to Volvo and Audi, and decide that I believe I like the Audi’s better. I still have a bit of a dilemma, however, in that I am vacillating between three quite different models, for somewhat different reasons.

I like the A6, A4, and TT. No, I can’t buy several, just one. My uses will be mostly commuting, but some several hundred mile trips. Rarely, the long vacation trip.

I really like the attention to detailing, the quality aesthetics, and the solid feel of the Audi cars. The Volvo S60/S80 is nice, too, but the Audi seems to have an edge that is perceptible.

My past includes an appreciation of British sports cars and I did put about 200,000 miles in total on several 900 turbo 3- door, 5-speed Saabs, and found that to be a really great car.

Now, 25 years later, I have enlarged the circle of what I appreciate to include a classy ride. Ride in this case meaning the overall experience, not just the suspension.

The A4 is fun and nimble, though the 4 seems a little buzzy. I like the quality look and feel of it, and the great gas mileage.

The A6 is gorgeous and elicited major responses from my significant other, who has been largely indifferent to the vehicles I have considered. She also liked the TT. It is fun to drive, very quick, and radiates quality. Very appealing visually, inside and out.

The TT is just a piece of automotive art, appropriate to represent all that is great about German engineering and design. Enormous fun to drive, very roomy inside, more so than one would think.

I am 6’ 1-1/2” tall, and leg room is an issue. The A6 seems better than the A4. I have driven a TT roadster and want to drive a couple to see how they differ in leg room.

I may have upset the moderators, as I have raised this question in the A6, A4, and T forums, but I wanted a balance of opinion, since I felt that each model owner would have a bias. Perhaps there are some here who have owned multiple models and can give more objective opinions.

I am undecided on FWD vs AWD.

Discuss....

Old 12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Compare your A4 to....

Well, I'm 6'4" and have zero issues with the A4 (my seat isn't even all the way back, although only amputees, Mini-Me, and my 3 year old son can sit behind me when I drive). Best bet is to drive each of the cars in question, and join a Volvo forum as well to get their take on their cars, and then mesh everything together to make your choice.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

The steering in the Audi is heads above anything in the Volvo line up. The Volvo's feel numb and over-assisted. While I'm not sure what engine options you're looking at, but the inline 5 of the Volvos tends to feel harsh, underpowered and off balance given the odd number of cylinders. (recent reviews say that Volvo has corrected a lot of the vibration and off balance feel, but it's still an issue)

The Volvo interiors smack of Ford. While the whole minimalist and form/function vibe is there, the materials and the quality of the buttons and other interfaces is just plain cheap. Even the faux woodgrain on the upper end Volvo's looks like it was pulled out of a Taurus.

If leg room is an issue, forget the S40. You'd need a 60 or 80. The 80 is overpriced for it's performance and feel. Don't let the horsepower rating on R line fool you. The performance figures don't come anywhere close to what they should be for a ride claiming to have 300+ horses.

One thing that I can say Volvo does better than anyone else (at least for me), is their seats. Damn comfortable.

Audi has the best fit and finish out there for the money. Simple, clean, very tight tolerances on all fronts with a very solid feel on all fronts.

Audi steering has a great balanced feel and nice weighted feel. Totally German.

I currently own an A4 2.0T as well as an Allroad 2.7T (very similar to an A6). You're right about the A4 beeing a littly buzzy. The engine is pretty noticble in noise dept, but it's a great engine that's good on gas. The A4 might be a little tight on the leg room for you...depending on how you like to drive. I'm 6'2 and find that sometimes things are a little tight and that I'm working to keep my feet off the pedals because I can't find a happy medium between the seat distance and leg room.

The A6 is a roomier ride, but not so big as to feel like you're driving a boat. Actually, they feel surprisingly nimble given the added weight and size. The engines are quieter and less buzzy for sure. The interior is quieter than the A4's I've owned too. (Maybe Audi usese more dampening materials?)

Hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Yeah I'm 6'2' and I have no problem with my a4. I don't think the guys can really fit behind me very well, but the girls never complain even though I offer to givemore room for them. So I guess somewhere around 5'6' is the cutoff for who you would want sitting behind you. As far as awd, I am proud to have one of the best awd systems available. Unless it doesn't snow where you live I'd get the awd.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 AM
5th Gear

what about upgrades? are you gonna haul stuff or do you have a truck for that? yes the a4 is a bit buzzy but it has so much crap working how can it not lol. it's the ultimate compact car except it's not too compact but it's definitely compacted with many luxuries and potential. like everybody else has been saying, your height is not going to be and issue for you. i have a friend who is 6'9" and he sits in the passenger seat perfectly with the seat all the way back. and no matter where you live, get a awd. sucks a bit more gas but to me, a luxury vehicle with fwd is not acceptable. plus if wanted to go skiing or visit somebody in a snowy place you'll be covered. the seats are very comfortable on long drives, so comfortable they'll make you fall asleep lol. if your buying a new car, get the TT though. that thing is pure sex, i want one so bad!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

yea, what are your uses ?
kids and family ?
hauling stuff ?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: bigsnowdog

My past includes an appreciation of British sports cars and I did put about 200,000 miles in total on several 900 turbo 3- door, 5-speed Saabs, and found that to be a really great car.
I hope you know that Saab is not a British car. Try Swedish instead.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

I'll give you minimal advise considering that many things about the cars are all personal preference, from the look, the feel etc... however in my opinion Audi has Volvo beat in every aspect. The car that seems the most suited to your needs is the A6/S6. If you do decide to go with Audi, I will highly suggest going with quattro/all wheel drive.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Bogie

ORIGINAL: bigsnowdog

I hope you know that Saab is not a British car. Try Swedish instead.
Yes, I knew that. Swedish, just like Volvo.

Bad sentence structure. I should have said...... And, I later owned Saab 900T's, which had firm suspension, road noise, yet less than Triumphs and Austin Healeys, but more than an A4 Audi. This to imply that the A4 experience, with what I felt was the 4-cylinder buzz at idle was not so alien. The Saab did idle more smoothly, however. No buzz. Maybe a manual trans A4 would feel somewhat different in that regard?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Lazer Viking

yea, what are your uses ?
kids and family ?
hauling stuff ?
No kids. I have a truck for hauling.

Quick Reply: Compare your A4 to....