Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continual coolant loss problem not resolved help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Continual coolant loss problem not resolved help please!

When you had the radiator replaced, you had the transmission oil cooler replaced.

There is an engine oil cooler that interfaces with the coolant. This is what the oil filter screws into. Sometimes this rusts out causing mxing of engine oil and coolant.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

Thanks David. This is what I was told and that he replaced. I don't mean to sound like a complete numpty with mechanicals it's just that I live in Asia and the guys English is very limited so he has firstly got the equivalent english part name wrong when telling me the problem! He said it was a radiator and so I took it that there was an inner because I could see that the outer rad was clearly the same one!

Now I'm starting to think that it was indeed the engine oil cooler although the picture of one I've seen doesn't look like the part I saw! I was told that the oil/coolant mixture in the expansion bottle was due to an item rusting out causing the 2 to mix so I presume this is what was replaced! It's become a little frustrating now partly due to my ignorance and partly not knowing exactly what was fitted!

I will hopefully feel better when it goes into Audi.

On a different note, do you know if software upgrades were done for the gearboxes on these cars or do they pretty much work as they were made- being 10 years old or so? Just thought whilst it's in and they have to look at the box, that if it's available to improve drive that they could download to the ECU! I have always thought it drove very unintelligently and nothing like the handbook talks of! I can't believe there weren't improvements made from the start of production to the end!

Regards and many thanks again David.

Mak

Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 PM
4th Gear

Two other possibilities. If you have a smell in the car when you use the air conditioning, it could be that there is a coolant leak at the heater core. That of course would smell a bit sweet, like hot antifreeze. This of course would not cause oil to show up in the coolant. A bad smell could also come from the filter in the air system. If this hasn't been replaced in a while, you might want to replace the cabin filter.

There is an aftermarket program for the tiptronic transmission, but this can't be downloaded, and needs a chip soldered into the transmission control unit. I doubt that this is available in Asia, however.

Good luck and let us know what the problem turns out to be.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Just an update for those who may have experienced, or are experiencingsimilar problems. Last week phoned the Audi dealer (some 300 miles away) to book in for the week after next and he put me on to anX-Audi main dealer mechanic where I live! What a spot of luck. Guy has the VAG computer/analyser too!

So I phoned him and explained the symptoms, he said bring it down now (which I did) plugged it in and ran diagnostic but it came up with no faults on the tranny. So he did a system reset and it appears to have solved the wanting to change gearbut doesn't problem. Only thing is the revs still wander 2-300 rpm at steady 60 kph but I'll live with that. He also checked the tranny fluid (redish) andso apparently it needs changing again! He thinks that there was still some nasties in it from the flush out!

Wondered if Mobil or other do a fluid that anyone would recommend that's cheaper or is it just not worth it? This will be the 3rd change in 6 months I've had to do! Also last change I had was 4 litres but he said it's better to have 5-can someone clarify which?

In regard the coolant leak he's going to look at it when he does the tranny but suspects its the heater core/matrix as some of you rightly suggested.

He also showed me some play in the front passenger side joint and it's an expensive part! Is the upper or lower the expensive part? Anyone know the part number (Audi) for this as they only know genuine Audi here and I'd prefer to get a German OEM sent me if it is stupid figures. Should I have both at the same time left and right? Will the wheels have to be tracked after this?

Anymore news I'll let you know as it unfolds.

Thanks again

M.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 AM
2nd Gear

for your cooent leak it might be a small hole in a hose. when the car is off /cold it is not present but when hot and under pressure the hose is more plyable and can reveal a small leak. aka only when you are driving.

the other prob that you saidmaybe aball joint/tie rod.about $50us. the uper and lower control arms make a klunking noise when going bad. they are a bit more expensive

i get most of my parts from this site www.ecstuning.com

Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 AM
4th Gear

I had the tie rods replaced, and it cost $450 with an alignment.
Control arms would be more expensive.