Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked engine mount - how serious?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Cracked engine mount - how serious?

I got into an accident a couple weeks back - rear-ended somebody. I was only going aboIu 15 mph, but hit an SUV, so my bumper went underneath, thus her bumper hit a relativelty soft spot. She got away with just a few scratches. Mine A4 was crumpled up pretty bad.

Initial damage report from the body shop was front fender, fog lights, headlights, hood, front quarter panels, radiator, and A/C. This came to $7700. I'm not concerned about the price because once I pay my deductible, it's all the same to me. My biggest concern is getting the car back perfect, without any chronic problems related to the accident.

Glad that there was no serious internal damage, I was suppsed to have it back Friday. But as the body shop was stripping it down, they noticed some more damage. Possible pulley damage and a cracked motor mount. They are shipping the car back to the dealership to have these fixed, as well as have the car thoroughly inspected from a mechanical stanpoint.

This whole cracked motor mount thing has me sweating a bit. I know they are going to fix it, but how serious is this? I must have hit her harder than I thought.

Another concern... I bought this car CPO. One main reason for this was that I wanted the 2-year extended factory warranty. Now, I'm afraid that if I need to have something fixed in the future, the dealership is going to not cover it, blaming it on my accident. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

The body shop has a great reputation and does work for my local Audi/Porsche/Land Rover dealership, as well as a local Infinity dealership. The body shop also informed me that my insurance adjuster is being cool - not nickel and diming or suggesting that they cut corners to save $$. So, I feel that the car is in good hands, but am still freaking out.

How many of you have been in accidents? How have your cars been post-accident?

Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Cracked engine mount - how serious?

if it's just front end damage, then your fine. motor mounts are not a big deal. ALA it's not putting lots of stress on the tranny your fine. . I have yet to get into an accident that hasn't totalled what I was driving. See

Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Wow, you're not kidding. That car is smashed up.

Mine's just front end damage. I hit her square on. Most of the bumper went beneath her bumper. My hood was pushed in about 3-5 inches or so. Far enough to bust the radiator, A/C, plastic engine cover and possibly a pulley. The shop told me the engine is fine, except for the cracked mount. Impact wasn't hard enough to trigger the airbags, so I lucked out on that.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

I would have hit her harder, totaled the car and bought an RS4.

But thats me.

Just butin *****.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

i whacked mine exactly as you describe. 50k miles later she's still running great.