Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DARN IT! WHITE SMOKE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: DARN IT! WHITE SMOKE!!!

better than driving drunk (at bar if i recall), so i'll give him that

Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

So basicly he has driven stick like 3 or 4 times, and came to a stop in 3rd and never put it into 1st to go again. I think it might be clutch burning.... how do I distinguish between extreme damage and just it hurt it? Yeah, he's never gonna get behind the wheel of my car again, and as a side note, I sadly was far too loaded to drive last night, so hence, stand in driver. Bad move. Thanks all, PF

Old 04-15-2006, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear

yo....
its DEFINATELY the clutch burning. I had the same exact thing in my Eclipse when I started from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th all back to back... my clutch went out about a week later. How bad was it smoking? how long did it smell for? my car smealt for a good 2-3 hours. He definately shortened the life of your clutch, it just depends on how badly he burned it, to know how much he shortened its life. But this is definately the problem.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

I saw a decent amount of smoke, but no good quantification of it, and it smelled like burning of course. It smelled pretty bad for my estimate maybe 30 mins after it got home and was in the garage, but the smell due to the closed garage was there until the next morning at least 8 hours later. I kinda doubt i did massive damage, but i do suspect some.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah burning smell sounds more like clutch... I think people were just confused by your first posting, it is probably not coolant (common white smoke).

Well clutches aren't exactly supposed to be replaced just because someone burnt um up. Just wait til it goes out. Of course now that you got your clutch hot enough to burn it up it will go out sooner, but it is not like death to your car.

And when it does go you will know. You will push the gas pedal and the act of accelerating will break the clutch loose and your RPMs will shoot up. Then you let off the gas and the whole car will jerk when the clutch reengages.

Anyway, clutches auto adjust -like brakes- so it will continue living. Have you ever been to the race track? Race tracks smell like burnt clutches and brakes (same smell).

Old 04-15-2006, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Slowb5

check around your oil filler cap, and see if there is any white **** around the cap...if so headgasket....

white is from automatic tranny fluid and coolant. White smoke is coolant leaking to the combustion chamber and getting burned, it could also be a cracked block or head.

but if it aint sweet then you may be fine on that end.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah but he has a manual transmission and his friend dropped it in 3rd gear at 6K RPM, he smoked his clutch. All he had to say was it smelled like burning brakes on those big rigs when they are driving down a long steep grade. You ever seen brakes smoke? Brakes and clutches are about the same material so it is the same kind of burning... I would not call it white smoke, but that is what it is.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: PhoneixFire13

Darn it anyway.... I let my friend drive me home from the bar in my audi, he tried to start from a light in 3rd like 5 seperate times. He finally super gunned it, gave it a ton of gas, ran it up to about 6k RPM and then got it into 1st.... anyway in the interum, i see white smoke coming from under my car and it smells like "burned" something or another. I am too worried to search on this topic tonite... what fluid, part or material "burned" producing white smoke and what do i need to watch for, and or change\maintain for the car to continue to run in optimal condition. I'm really scared he hurt my car, but I'm admitting my pure ignorance on this one. PLEASE PLEASE ADVICE!!! PF
I know what will make you feel better!! For starters beat the F#@&*ng **** out of your friend and then make him pay for all the repairs!!...PROBLEM SOLVED!

Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone, I really feel a lot more comfortable, although still mad, about everything. I think i'll try to get at least half the price of the clutch out of my friend. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate everyone's help. PF

Old 04-16-2006, 02:22 PM

white smoke plus burning smell ill go along with clutch "you could have been more descriptive of that smell" but never mind it seems you nailed the problem just watch who you let wreck your car in future they don't give a **** you know

Quick Reply: DARN IT! WHITE SMOKE!!!