Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diesel swap......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default diesel swap......

my dream would be to have a diesel engine in an b5 a4.... has anyone done this swap.....

i have quite a bit of experience with 1.6 turbo diesel out of the jettas.... they can be easily tuned to 100hp... (ya i know it doesnt soudn like much) but they have a ton of torque and would get 35-40mpg in an a4

the 1.9 idi (indirect injection) out of teh 92-95 or so motors are great but hard to find.... huge torque and very simple motors.....

and then 1.9 TDI's out of the new jetta's golf etc...... great motors just complicated to wire in i would imagine, but u can chip them and get 140hp and 250 torque out of them quite easily.

anyone have any ideas on this.... from what i have heard all vw 4cyl's have the same bell housing bolts and and vw 4cyl will bolt up to any other vw 4cyl tranny....

you just have to use the transmissions clutch with the motors flywheel....

will a vw 4cyl work with a audi 4cyl transmission.... in my quattro...

what do you think i could sell my 1.8t for with all accesories....in excellent running conditon..

Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: diesel swap......

refer to the S4 conversion thread. same deal

Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 PM
5th Gear

haha, i've been wanting a diesel a4 as well! This is my school and back car... gas kills me! Premium runs about a dollar a litre here, and the tank holds a little under 60 litres I think... it's pretty brutal. you'd think the passat tdi stuff would make for an easy swap, same mounting position as the a4... where the golfs and jetta's are turned 90 degrees. HMMM if you pull this off, or even start the project, PM me PLEASE!

Old 03-28-2005, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

ya except u cant just go buy a diesel a4.......unless you know some secret source...

and also as far as i know its direct fit except the wiring....no need for upgraded tranny/ brakes.... exhaust would work with slight modification, fuel system could be made to work without much trouble.

also the 1.6 diesels have no wiring.... well only 3 wires basically... and i have a source with 5 of them for $150 a piece in running condition.... i just dont know if they have enough power for a 3400lb car...

i have one in my a2 jetta and its great.... 40mpg great power....

and the other thing with diesel which you may not be aware of.... you can buy a "grease kit" for $800 from www.greasecar.com

and convert your car to run on used vegitable oil, which restraunts will give you for free...so you drive for free...

Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
4th Gear

sure, as headshok said... if you could get a passat one. as for the engine being powerful enough for the A4... the A4 does come in TDI with that same 1.9 engine in europe...so... yeah. The Passat and A4 are mostly the same cars. just different styling and interior options basically... so i'm gonna take a stab that the Passat TDI ECU would work on the A4, or you could even try and track down an A4 TDI ECU from europe . I doubt the VW engine would bolt right up to a quattro tranny though. yeah, they're the same company making em, but the quattro is a completly different engine.

lol, i read about that vegetable oil once, that'd be quite the hassle to keep going and finding the oil though, but sweet to drive for free.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

i dont see y it wouldnt bolt right up to the tranny.....

the veggie oil is very easy to get.... my friend has his jetta set up that way, goes and gets 10 gallons a week at a local restaraunt..... 10 gallons gets him 500miles.... his car is a n/a 1.6 diesel though and its slow slow slow....

the passat motor the 2.0tdi i think is just a slightly bored over 1.9tdi....

and the way they are mounted shouldnt matter, there are tons of guys putting the 1.6 and 1.9's in suzuki samuri's... and that is mounted the same was as teh motor in our a4's

my thoughts are sort of to buy one of these 1.6's for cheap money, put a big turbo on it, and tune the injection pump... and with an intercooler i should be around 115hp or so... doesnt sound liek much but there is a lotta torque there

Old 03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, I'd want to go the passat route... My car's a 2000, so the thought of putting in some 10 year old engine seems wrong. Hmm... No way I could afford it right now, but I never want to sell this a4... even after I'm done school, I'll want to keep it. Maybe the diesel conversion would be juuust what I was looking for.

Course, by the time I'm done school, we'll have hover-cars, running on sunshine! ... *sigh*

Old 05-13-2005, 04:27 AM
1st Gear

I really thought with the A3 they were finally going to release a diesel here in the US.

If I started a petition for Audi to bring diesel engine options to American, would anyone sign it? I really want AWD + Diesel. At this point, I don't care if it's Audi or VW (or even Subaru). Let me know - if there's more than a few votes, I'd be happy to do it.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:33 AM
5th Gear

haha I'd do it. AWD and diesel would make for one crazy practical car! I hate going to the pumps... and apprecaite the handling of my car, and the ride, more than anything else. losing 100 hp would suck... but I'd make do.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:36 AM
6th Gear

Audi understands the desire for diesels in the US. They have stated that due to poor diesel fuel quality there will be no diesel anytime soon.

Quick Reply: diesel swap......