Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY-Timing belt : success

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear
Default DIY-Timing belt : success

'02 89K miles: B6

R & R timing belt and water pump; spent8 hrs +/-, however, could now do the job in 3 hrs or less-includes cleanup and bleeding coolant. The DIY threads were accurate and helpful and I also referred to the Bentley Manual. I will post a couple of pics which are missing in the DYI threads which may be helpful. I spent the 1st2 hours trying to remove the front bumper; 2 more removing the radiator & belt; 30 minutes installing the new parts; 1 hr assembling (no extra parts!); then cleanup. Extra time spent understanding how everything was suppossed to work. The front end had been previously dissasembled, as I noted broken tabs on the connections, plugs not installed in the factory clips, different fasteners, etc. I probably spent an extra hr trying to locate wherethe connectors belonged. There was no previous service history of the timing belt being replaced. Though the belts looked good, there was a big difference in the appearance of "old & new". I beleive my belt was original. You can inspect your accessory and timingbelts by looking at the backside for dimples. While this may not be the most accurate method, the backside of the belts run on rollers which wear away the dimples; my old belts were slick. The timing belt can be seen by unclipping the tabs for the cover. Any cracking or other signs of age means your gambling with your engine! Follow others advice and replace by 80K miles or sooner...

I would rate the job as moderate/difficult if you don't have helping hands. Anyone can do the work with patience/basic knowledge. I followed the DYI thread more than Bentley; DYI removes crank pulley vsBentley camshaft sproket. I used the ECS tuning kit which supplies (4) new bolts for the lower sprocket. All OE parts, upgraded metal fin water pump; proper coolant. I did not replace the seals;

Basic mechanical knowledge required:
-use proper allen, torx, and socket tools: good quality that fit; puller needed to remove lower crank sprocket.
-understand how the various electrical plugs come apart: (I used a minature screwdriver to lift the tab)
-use high temp locktite thread lock on all fasteners relating to timing belt bolts/tensioner. Torque settings to be posted.
-don't allow weight of parts to put pressure on hoses.
-protect painted surfaces - no scratches!
-radiator hoses should come off easily once clips have been slid to one side.
-when assembling front end; install all fasteners finger tight to allow for movement; then tighten opposite sides, aligning as needed.
-above includes, headlights, bumper, etc.
-bumper removal: note that the ends/sides pull away and unclip from the fenders once all the fasteners have been removed; the 2 bolts under the grill need to be completely loose (not removed)to slide out the bumper; more than you think...
-had to remove the air guides; bolt on power steering coolant coil (don't disconnect any lines).
-found it easier to remove bumper completely; pivot cooler under car.
-do notallow WD-40 or other penetrating oil (used for stuck fasteners) to get on any running surface of the belts.
-trust the tensioner install instructions: look at the old one before removing, replace in same manner, tension, pull pin.
-assembling: keep mental notes and recheck all hoses and fasteners have been tightened; don't forget the lug nuts! Make sure you
run the foglight/headlight, etc. wires in the proper place before tightening front end/bumper.
-you cannot damage your engine if you properly aligned the timing marks; tensioned the belt; torque fasteners/locktight.You do not want the risk/worry of the pulley/belt coming loose down the road.

Good luck...

emailswelcome if you have questions or prior to DYI.

Thanks to all who contribute to the forums...

Paul
Golden, Colorado

'02 Quattro; 89K miles

Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: DIY-Timing belt : success

nice... i ordered that and a few more things to do...