Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody double clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Does anybody double clutch?

Do you guys actually rev match when you double clutch (like the actual rpm to match the difference- the same way as you do in a powershift), or do you just give it a "blip" of gas or slam on the throttle and then quickly throw it into gear? how do you suggest I could improve the technique that I wrote above.

[I will also try the other technique AudiCross wrote]

Old 10-10-2006, 02:23 AM
2nd Gear

Well, its not really double clutching if you only pump the clutch once is it?

You are basically 'blipping' the clutch, but you want to match revs as best you can in the short time between shifts. Its basically just the same actions you would take as you downshift just one gear. I do all of my downshifts the same way. The closer you match the revs on the shifts, the less work your synchros have to do. I try to be as clutch friendly as possible even when I am running hard.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:28 AM
3rd Gear

you don't need to double clutch in modern manuals...so idk why you guys are talking about it. just revmatch or heeltoe

Old 10-10-2006, 02:40 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah the only reason to double clutch now is if your synchros are dead.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 AM
2nd Gear

This is a good post. There are a lot of people out there who hear these terms (double clutching, rev matching, heal - toe, synchros, etc) and they don't understand them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but double clutching was only used on transmissions that were pre-synchros. It is pretty much obsolete now that all cars have synchros in the tranny.

For those that don't know heal - toeing. This is when you dive into a corner and want to downshift while you are braking. You put your right foot on both the brake and gas at the same time. You are braking, but then swing your foot over to the gas (while still pressing the brake) to rev the engine for the downshift. This can get you through a turn pretty quick since you are in gear and can power out instead of having to wait until you have completed braking before you make a gear change. I know the definition, but I suck at it, so someone else will have to give you hints or tips on doing it right.

Rev matching is discussed a little here.

As for synchros, take a look at this post from this weekend (similar topic):

https://www.audiforums.com/m_362743/tm.htm

The link to howstuffworks has some good info on manual trannys and synchros. You can also find more info on double clutching, heal - toe etc on this site.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:19 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah the only time I've ever had to double clutch was in my dads race prepped 1979 911sc when the 2nd gear synchro was toast.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 AM
2nd Gear

Ya. the only time i doublt clutch is in our 68 mustang. and its a 3 speed so thats kinda...lol it only has synchros in 2nd and 3dr, but i do it anyway to be nice to the transmission. after all, it is a 38 year old car.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 AM
2nd Gear

i dont understand why everybody is talking about double cluch.

the reason double cluch was invented was with old, old 4 speeds that didnt have synchro's, you needed to match up the gears so you didnt mess up your tranny...

the whole point of a synchro is so you dont have to double cluch. what you want to do from going from 5th to 3rd is just learn how to heel toe good.

there's been many threads devoted to this and all you need to do is just heel toe to 4th real quick then to 3rd and your golden...

double cluch just wastes gas, its also bad to rev an engine to redline with no load on it...

Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 AM
5th Gear

lol yea the only thing i double clutch is out 46 chev pickup

Old 10-10-2006, 07:39 AM
dan
2nd Gear

You almost had me? You never had me.... you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake manifold! You almost had me? Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston and rings you fried. Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning

Had to be said

Quick Reply: Does anybody double clutch?